a few problems with my 93

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a few problems with my 93

ok, I tried a little bit of searching, and i guess no one has had this problem before.

I recently pulled the motor out of my 93, re-placed all gaskets, and cleaned everything, yada yada, yada.

after hooking everything back up, and attempting to start it, well, it wont. I can get it running if i put gas in a spark plug hole. I have already checked the timing, as well as all the plugs. Everything checks out there. Once i can get it started, I'm able to keep it running by keeping my foot on the throttle. It is basically non-responsive below 3000 rpm, meaning if i let it get that low, when i go to give it throttle again it just bogs and bucks to high heaven. As long as it is above 3000 rpm though, its fine.

I have fuel to the rail, but i'm not sure if the injectors are firing at lower rpms. Keep in mind this was a running, driving car before i pulled the motor. The big reason i pulled the motor is because the gasket between the throttle body and intake was junk, and it dumped a crap load of coolant into the motor. Just to be safe, i changed the fuel rail over from my parts car (which was running better then this one, but burned alot of oil)

so, thats my story. Any ideas? I had to make my own check engine light, because my tach cluster didn't have one. I'm getting a code 9, which is the same code i got before i took the motor apart.

another pet peve i'm trying to figure out is why the clutch wont dis-engage. it did before, and now it wont. the clutch went on the right way when i took it off, but maybe i didnt get the splines lined up right?

so, guys any help would be appreciated, before i send this thing off a cliff
    1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Do not write below this line; for office use only

sounds like a vac leak maybe.... just a guess
    91L 5 sp, 175k,a/c ,KYB gr2,Fms Lowering springs ,13" konig's ,09 tiburon seats, 7" Pyle in.dash,kicker ds400 all around,Kicker 400.2 powering 2 Kicker cvr 10", 30k hid's, hopeful to find a xr2 to swap b6t from....

2010 mazdaspeed3 stock... for now

Comment

thats what i thought might be a problem. every hose appears to be on right.
      1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Comment

Have you checked with starting fluid?
        -Donny
        -1992 Festiva GL
        B6D/E-series.
        -1991 GL
        BP/Broken E-Series. Working on G transmission.

-2011 Mazdaspeed3

Comment

did you put the distributator back in its place or adjusted it back where it should?

Comment

Yea. the actual distributor only fits on the cam one way. I then adjusted it back to the marks i made before i took it off. it just seems like either the injectors aren't firing at the right time, or are clogged or something. as soon as the boy takes another nap i'm gonna go back out and take a look.

is there any other way to test if an injector is firing without a noid light?
            Last edited by ckiesman; 10-10-2010, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Check to make sure you have the fuel lines on correct. The one from the filter goes on the end of the rail without the fuel pressure regulator.
              -Greg
              Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
              BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
              Redneck Engineer
              FOTY - '09
              5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
                Check to make sure you have the fuel lines on correct. The one from the filter goes on the end of the rail without the fuel pressure regulator.
                what he said....i remember had mine criss cross when i put engine back :p

Comment

I have a 93 and had to tear the engine apart to replace gaskets etc. From experience I had a couple of things come to mind. As simple as it sounds check the throttle body gasket. Mine had a crack and couldn't get the thing started. Replaced the gasket and it fired right up. Small detail but big difference. Second issue with starting had to do with the Throttle Position Sensor. It went bad and wouldn't start but after putting a new one in it fired right up again.

All that said I am a shade tree mechanic on my best day so you might want to be cautious with my adice but this is from my experience only.

Greg
                  '93 Festiva GL / "HOT ROD"
                  '02 F-150 Supercrew
                  '02 Excursion 4x4
                  '98 Jeep Cherokee Classic Limited

Comment

yea. i made that mistake the first time i tried them. but then i saw on here someone else did that, so i swapped them over. before it wouldnt even attempt to fire. not it does, just not very well.

thanks for the help guys. I wish someone here was close enough to come up and give me a hand

Comment

Originally posted by BigWheel View Post
                      I have a 93 and had to tear the engine apart to replace gaskets etc. From experience I had a couple of things come to mind. As simple as it sounds check the throttle body gasket. Mine had a crack and couldn't get the thing started. Replaced the gasket and it fired right up. Small detail but big difference. Second issue with starting had to do with the Throttle Position Sensor. It went bad and wouldn't start but after putting a new one in it fired right up again.

All that said I am a shade tree mechanic on my best day so you might want to be cautious with my adice but this is from my experience only.

Greg

It has a new gasket, and hey, i'm a shade tree mechanic to. I'd rather do the the work myself and mess it up then pay someone to mess it up for me.

I just checked the #1 injector plug. should I be getting 12 volts to both sides with the key on?

Comment

I wanted to edit that above message, but i guess it's been to long since i posted it, lol

I checked the tb itself. I cant believe i missed this. It only had 2 bolts on it, and they were finger tight, lol.

I can't seem to find the other 2 bolts, but, the car did start right up after tightening them. Still idles around the 2500-2800 rpm range. throttle response was, eh, no so good. it bogged down if i was quick about it, but when i took my time, it went up.

and also, since i'm not to familiar with festiva OBD-1, i'm getting a code 9 (9 quick flashes) I know what that is. But i also get one long flash after that, and 8 quick flashes. When i was working on my 91 S10 with OBD-1, that would have been a code 18. However, i see code 18 dosen't exist for EFI festivas (according to my Haynes manual) is that long flash like a divider between codes or something. If it is, then I'm getting a code 8, which is the VAF. That could cause some of these problems, right?

Comment

Originally posted by ckiesman View Post
                          I wanted to edit that above message, but i guess it's been to long since i posted it, lol

I checked the tb itself. I cant believe i missed this. It only had 2 bolts on it, and they were finger tight, lol.

I can't seem to find the other 2 bolts, but, the car did start right up after tightening them. Still idles around the 2500-2800 rpm range. throttle response was, eh, no so good. it bogged down if i was quick about it, but when i took my time, it went up.

and also, since i'm not to familiar with festiva OBD-1, i'm getting a code 9 (9 quick flashes) I know what that is. But i also get one long flash after that, and 8 quick flashes. When i was working on my 91 S10 with OBD-1, that would have been a code 18. However, i see code 18 dosen't exist for EFI festivas (according to my Haynes manual) is that long flash like a divider between codes or something. If it is, then I'm getting a code 8, which is the VAF. That could cause some of these problems, right?
                          hah i had a feeling i was forgetting something about TR. Yah it helps when you have extra hands to help you as long you have one bolt i think you be ok.
                          -also adjust that TR
                          Last edited by FFW; 10-10-2010, 12:16 PM.

Comment

TR?

Comment

Originally posted by ckiesman View Post
                              TR?
                              sorry ment to say Throttle Position Sensor

Comment

Working...
                              X