Distributor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributor question

Changed the distributor o-ring today. Quite easy to do but there was also alot of oil in the distributor itself. I don't see how oil could get into the distributor by that o-ring maybe the shaft for the rotor... or is it normal? I don't see any other gaskets listed for the disty itself.
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

The only way oil could be getting into the distributor is by leaking in around the distributor shaft. The o-ring you replaced keeps oil from leaking to the outside of your engine. It has nothing to do with oil leaking into the distributor. Take the valve cover off and make sure the drain back holes in the head are not plugged with sludge. If they are plugged, the distributor shaft could be running "under oil". Just like if you were "under water", you would drown. Your distributor running "under oil" is drowning in oil.
    You gonna race that thing?
    http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Thanks! Didn't think of that. The engine itself is sludge free but that doesn't mean those holes isn't plugged. It was very abused when I got it.
      91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

possibly wouldn't hurt to put a can of seafoam in it....
        Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
        89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
        Projects in the works:
        84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

Actually it did but I use MMO.. don't care for seafoam.
          91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Working...
          X