no heat ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no heat ?

So i had a problem with my car over heating after i changed the tstat to a 190 degree tstat from autozone. I know its not the real tstat. So the car keep overheating on me with it in. I took it out and now after i drive it about 30 minutes it geets a bit warm but not hot. The air temp out of the vents never getts warm at all.

Something to note
    i didnt have heat when i went and got the car. At that point the tstat was the right one just all rusty.

What can i check to see if i need to change the heater core?
    What is the right way to burp the collant, so it doesnt build up and steam over?
    Is the core hard to change on a 91? (i changed a core on a 96 cougar)
    Can i get a new tstat and burp the system to get heat again?
    1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
    1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
    1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
    19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Originally posted by mikemounlio View Post
    So i had a problem with my car over heating after i changed the tstat to a 190 degree tstat from autozone. I know its not the real tstat. So the car keep overheating on me with it in. I took it out and now after i drive it about 30 minutes it geets a bit warm but not hot. The air temp out of the vents never getts warm at all.

Something to note
    i didnt have heat when i went and got the car. At that point the tstat was the right one just all rusty.

What can i check to see if i need to change the heater core?
    What is the right way to burp the coolant, so it doesnt build up and steam over?
    Is the core hard to change on a 91? (i changed a core on a 96 cougar)
    Can i get a new tstat and burp the system to get heat again?
    1. Make sure you get either a stock thermostat from the dealer or the best one offered by the McParts store.
    2. You do know that there is no warm air coming from the center vents above the radio, right? Wasn't sure which vents you were referring to.
    3. Getting warm but not hot is what I would expect with driving without the thermostat.
    4. To "burp" the system, just make sure that the side the radiator cap is on, is uphill from the other side. Either park it kinda sideways on a slope or jack up the side with the rad cap. This will let bubbles travel to the highest point, where the cap is, and then burst. Of course you have the rad cap off the radiator when you do this.
    5. I would recommend a good flushing of the system before you just stick in the new thermostat and fresh coolant. Make sure you have the heater's heat-selection switch all the way over to hot, to circulate coolant and radiator flush thru the heater core.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

^^^ Stick with the T-stat from a dealer. It is a 2 stage stat and the ones offered @ McParts stores are single stage. A single stage will not heat up correctly.
      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
        ^^^ Stick with the T-stat from a dealer. It is a 2 stage stat and the ones offered @ McParts stores are single stage. A single stage will not heat up correctly.
        I've got the better of the two Stants offered at Advance Auto, and it works fine. It's a 180 degree one. I have a brand new dealer 192 degree two-stage, but Greg thought it would be better to use the 180 due to the turbo.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

^^^ But then again, what does Greg know about heat? Isn't he more an A/C fanatic? :lol: :lol:

That said, all I've ever used is the 180 Stant from AZ, the more expensive one like Tom said. Never had a problem with my heat in any of my Festie... except this one time during the summer when I filled my rad with straight water to drive it home after replacing a bottom radiator hose on the side of the highway. Wasn't too worried about it since I was getting ready to swap in another motor anyway since the one in it was about shot. Well the motor ended up in my other car, and the car with water sat all winter without being touched... oops it froze and blew out the heater core lol.
          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Working...
          X