Drilling out steering rack pins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling out steering rack pins?

Today I tried to drill out the inner tie rod pins with a Craftsman cobalt 1/8" drill bit. It didn't "bite" into the roll pin at all, then after a few seconds, it slipped out.

Do I try using a smaller diameter bit? Maybe 1/16", to get more "into" the inside of the roll pin?

Or should I try a "screw out" bit?

Anyone ever do this?

Thanks,

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

If you're trying to remove the inner tie rods, just unscrew it from the rack. As soon as you start to unscrew it, the threads on the tie rod will push the roll pin up. You don't need to try to remove the pin by drilling it out.
    You gonna race that thing?
    http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Cool!

Karl

Comment

Just got both of them a few minutes ago.

The roll pin is only about 1/8" long! Weird. It did come up out of its hole as I loosened the inner tie rod with a 12" Crescent wrench. I used a pair of electrical pliers to snatch it out of the hole. I haven't been able to get the other pin out yet, though I've used the pliers and a little dental hook tool to try. I may have to use a punch and push it out into the tie rod hole area to remove it completely.

Thanks,

Karl

Comment

I never take them out all the way when I change inner tie rods. I unscrew the old tie rod, screw the new one in and then tap the roll pin back down in the hole.
          You gonna race that thing?
          http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

If you get it all the way out, consider using a stainless steel screw with nylock nut to replace it.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Also heard at FM4 that a 10/32 (I think) drill and tap job will let you thread in a small bolt, making future repair a snap...
              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Working...
              X