Front and rear bearings howling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front and rear bearings howling

O.K. so heres the deal,the thursday before the K.C. meet i changed the left rear wheel bearing and races,all is good there,now on the way home from K.C. it sounds like the right front bearing is going bad,i say this because i start to hear a howl at 20mph and up,it makes no differance if you steer from left to right the noise does not change,so this is what i have done,changed both front tires and wheels,changed trans fluid,changed the right front steering knuckle with one i removed from my other DD and still the same noise,oh ya the car is a 92 Festiva 5 speed with 162k any thoughts guys, no shakes or vibrations just that howl.
    An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

bearing howl can be deceiving, it echoes. check your wheel hubs after a long drive, whatever one is hot is the likely culprit.
    89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
    94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
    2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
    1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Ya i don't think so,i did that once and burnt the pads of my fingers.Could it be the axle shaft bearings at the trans,probably not,i'll change the left stearing knuckle tomorrow. Thanks N.R. any other thoughts,you said echo,could it be the right rear bearing is giving up,i'll be right back,well i went out and grabed the top of the tire and shook it and it seamed tight.
      An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Have you gone to a quiet area and driven along a curb with windows down to listen to your car better? It can help find the noise better sometimes. The car noises echo off the curb really well.

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

echo

Hey Karl,not a bad idea,i'll give that a try. Thanks

Comment

Or a brick wall, say behind a shopping mall.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

The hot hub test is really the best way to go.
              Uh, you know you don't have to actually touch the hub to know it's hotter than the other side.
              And yes. I've done the same thing!
              "smells like chicken" doesn't it?
              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
              Your holy ghost will not save you.
              Your God plutonium will not save you.
              In fact...
              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

As for the "hot hub" check, you could always lick your finger tip first to reduce the specific heat. I'd wash first though.

Karl

Comment

As cheap as bearing are I'd replace the "other" rear. They go out alot more often than the fronts. Just my $.02
                  -Greg
                  Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                  BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                  Redneck Engineer
                  FOTY - '09
                  5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Heat isn't a good indicator. The rear drivers on mine howls a small amount and it's no warmer than the new one on the passenger side... although I repacked it when I replaced the other. Was going to replaced it but unless it gets worse not going to worry about it. Karl how's your tires look? If they're feathered they'll also cause a howl. My Escape does it and that's the cause. Escape's are notorious for bad camber and if I remember right your's is lowered.
                    Last edited by ericsmith32; 10-18-2010, 02:26 PM.
                    91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

My current DD is Twinstiva, a stock '92L. I replaced the LCAs before my last trip and I noticed a different feel. Maybe needs another alignment? I'd rather wait until spring, so I gotta get AquaMutt on the road to do most of my winter driving.

No bearing problems right now that I can tell on Twin.

Karl

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                        The hot hub test is really the best way to go.
                        Uh, you know you don't have to actually touch the hub to know it's hotter than the other side.
                        And yes. I've done the same thing!
                        "smells like chicken" doesn't it?
                        LMAO ya the things we do,i don't know about the chicken thing,i had my fingers in my mouth trying to cool them off while i was jumping,swearing and talking to Jesus about how stupid i was or am.

O.K. so this is my plan,i'm going to drive to the other side of town were i can drive behind a vacant mall to see what i can hear, then i'll head over to my local parts store,pull up to the store get out lick my fingers run around the car checking for over heated bearings,go on inside and listen to the guys behind the counter give me a rashen about a chinese fire drill and then go ahead and order some new bearings,what do ya think, sound like a plan.

Comment

Sounds like a plan!
                          The rear drums are pretty easy and straight forward.
                          The front hubs require a press to reassemble them, with the correct fittings the press can disassemble them too.
                          You have access to the necessary equipment?
                          FWIW, I wouldn't get anything but a Timkin bearing.
                          '92 Aqua parts Car
                          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

you don't necessarily need a press if you have the right chizle and copper punch set and a 3 jaw puller
                            89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
                            94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
                            2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
                            1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Should I have said "correctly" assemble them?
                              True, there are a number of ways to disassemble them without a press, and at least two ways to reassemble them without a press that are not let us say "documented".
                              My point is that if you don't have the equipment it might be cheaper in the short run to pay someone to do the job right with the correct equipment, provided they know how to handle our bearing setup.
                              '92 Aqua parts Car
                              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                              X