Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing/Misrouted/Missing Distributor Advance Vacuum Lines

1988 Festiva L, carburetor engine.

It looks like I have at least one vacuum line missing completely, and another vacuum line that may be routed incorrectly. All leading to a crappy low idle, stalling, and bucking at low speeds.

I've located two distributor vacuum advance vacuum lines that may be causing my problems.

There is one vaccuum line running from near the top of the distributor vacuum advance, running directly to the last relay(?) on the right of the firewall, looking at the firewall from the front of the car. This vacuum line looks brand-new so I suspect it was replaced by a previous owner. I'm just not sure if that new vacuum line is routed correctly.

There is another, second vacuum port, also on the distributor vacuum advance, just BELOW the vacuum port near the top of the vacuum advance. This vacuum line is MISSING. This second distributor vacuum advance port is sitting there with nothing at all connected to it.

I'm thinking the previous owner replaced one of the distributor advance vacuum lines, the one near the top of the distributor advance, possibly incorrectly. I'm certain that the previous owner removed the second distributor vacuum advance vacuum line, the lower of the two, that is missing.

Does anybody know exactly where these two vacuum lines SHOULD go? I've looked at the vacuum line diagram on the hood, but that's of little help. It's pretty much a cartoon diagram.

Thanks for any help on this, Tom

where you from? thank you.
    Last edited by BEASTS'TIVA; 10-20-2010, 11:23 AM.

Comment

There was an answer to that question posted here some time ago. Perhaps a search would pull it up.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Mine's an '89, I think they are slightly different so beware. The line near the top goes down to a T. one side goes to a vacuum port just below the carb on the driver side, right under the spring. The other side goes to the T under the MAP sensor. One side of that T goes to the MAP sensor, and the other side goes to the atmospheric sensor? located on the firewall all the way to the passenger side. The lower connection goes down to the rear hard line that comes from under the intake. There are 2 lines like that that stick up near the driver side rear of the carb. They are down low. Hope that's not too confusing!

Comment

Sorry, on the hard lines it is the second one back. It sticks up. There are about 4 of those lines.

Comment

Update RE: Missing Vacuum lines: I found another vacuum line nipple that is
            missing a vacuum line. It's on the carb baseplate; this vacuum line nipple
            points toward the front of the car. Viewed from the drivers side of the car,
            that carb vacuum nipple is under the spring.

The vacuum advance (on the distributor) is also missing a vacuum line. The lower
            vacuum advance vacuum line nipple has nothing connected to it. The upper vacuum
            advance vacuum line is connected to the vacuum manifold on the firewall, on the
            drivers side, to the far right solenoid/relay on the vacuum manifold.

I haven't found any other vacuum line nipples that are missing their vacuum
            lines. So my question is: Should the vacuum line nipple on the carb baseplate
            (which is missing a vacuum line) be connected to the lower vacuum advance vacuum
            nipple (which is also missing a vacuum line)???

Any words of wisdom will be much appreciated,
            Tom

Comment

Working...
            X