Aspire won't start, sometimes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire won't start, sometimes.

Like the title says, my '95 aspire won't start normally most of the time. It will start 100% of the time if I jump the solenoid wires, though. I figured because of that my solenoid was bad, but I just changed the starter and the same exact problem is occurring.
    I've checked all of the fuses (inside, and engine bay) and as many wires as I could imagine to cause this problem. Turning the key in the ignition kills the power to the radio, fans, etc. as it should, and I can hear clicking. It just will not turn over unless I jump the connections on the solenoid. Does anyone have any suggestions?

ignition switch or starter relay?
    89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
    94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
    2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
    1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Where is the starter relay? I think the ignition is in good working order, because it kills the power to accessories and I can hear clicking when I turn the key. I could be wrong though.

Comment

It wont start unless its jumped and you have already replaced the starter. So lets see here..... It might be a wire that is connected but not tighted down so you are not getting a good contact. These wires could be the battery cables or the starter wires. Maybe your alternator is shot or your battery. The funny thing I have learned about batteries is they can read the correct voltage, but that does not mean it will start your car. It has to have teh cold cranking amps in order to do it.
        Man should eat when he can for Man does not know when his last meal will be.

Comment

The clicking you hear when you turn the key is probably a relay. Which is good, this means the relay is getting power and is functioning like it should.

Comment

The battery has no problem starting the engine. The jumping that I'm talking about doing is between the two wires on the solenoid on the starter while the key is in the "on" position. I'm pretty sure the the ignition is fine. Theres got to be some other electrical thing somewhere in between that I just don't know about.

Thanks for the fast responses.

Comment

is the solenoid grounded? I havent seen a starter for a festiva in awhile, but on the gear i work on there is usually a ground strap that connects teh solenid to the starter.

Comment

how many wires hook up to your starter? You should have a ground, power, and a excitation wire. The excitation wire (sometimes called the signal wire) is the one that send the electrical current to the starter solenoid. This activates teh solenoid.

Comment

Theres two wires connected to the solenoid; power and excitation. IIRC the starter itself is grounded to the engine block, which means no ground wire.

The car starts 100% of the time by jumping those wires, or by bump starting it. It's definitely en electrical thing. I know its not the solenoid or a fuse and I'm pretty sure its not the ignition (although it could be?). The connection between the battery and starter has to be good, too.
                  Also, when the engine is warm the ignition works about 50% of the time. That makes me think its something in the engine bay, rather than inside the car.

Comment

Use a thick wire and jump White to Black/Blue on the ignition switch connector. If the engine turns over the problem is your ignition switch. I had the same problem with my car. When I turned the key to start the car it would cut the power and make a click but wouldn't start. Once in a while it would work when cold, and it would start more often when it was warm. I replaced the ignition switch and it fixed the problem for good.

Comment

man if you weren't so far west, i'd stroll out there and give you a hand right now.

it can still be the relay as the ign switch is a contact to complete the low amp side of the relay, and if there's corrosion within the relay on the high amp side, it can cause the solenoid to not activate and in turn the starter won't start.
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

That would be quite the drive for such a little problem haha, thanks anyways though.

So, its most likely either the ignition itself or the starter relay?

I was also looking at the sensors by the clutch pedal. There's two from what I can see, one gets activated on the upstroke of the pedal and one on the down stroke. Would either of these keep the car from starting?

Comment

yes! it's called your nutral safety switch. has to be clossed to start car. the one at the top of the pedal that pushes out when you press the clutch in.
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                          X