Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch help please - 93 L

Hi there,

I need some help with a clutch replacement. First I want to thank everyone who has posted tips and help and instructions with transmission removal, it went about as well as can be expected. (i hate rusty bolts)

This is the first time I've done a clutch, and I'm hoping there's just something I've screwed up/forgotten.

So I have had the flywheel resurfaced, and re-installed. When installing the new pressure plate, as I tighten down the 6 bolts that hold it, I could see the fingers depressing toward the clutch disc. This didn't seem right to me (thinking the fingers need to be out for the throw-out bearing to contact) but I continued anyhow thinking it was just a newbie misunderstanding.

I re-mounted the transmission, and re-connected the clutch cable, but the clutch arm looked like it was already back toward the back of the engine bay further than it should be. When I connected the clutch cable, it was far too easy. There's enough slack in the system that if I depress the pedal to the floor, it doesn't move the clutch arm at all.

I even took the transmission off, removed the pressure plate, and put the whole darn thing back together again to make sure I didn't put the clutch disk in backwards. It's not that.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I did read somewhere that someone suggested that the clutch arm should come back to somewhere near parallel to the center-line of the engine/transmission when the pedal is depressed. But mine is there with no pressure on it. I'll post pics in a few minutes (gotta grab the camera) but if anyone can point me in a direction to look, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for all the help you all have already provided in this great forum.

-Greg.

I feel for you ... I did my clutch for the first time a few months ago and it took me three times to get it right . The throw-out bearing had me confused in the assembly to get it correctly in place . Im sure that you will get an answer that will help you out - good luck .

Comment

Before pic. This is with the failed clutch still inside, you can see that the clutch cable is sitting snugly in the curve of the arm

After pic. Now you can see there's slack, but the cable hasn't been adjusted at all.

I'm thinking I'll tear it apart again (getting good at dropping the transmission!) and try fitting up the old pressure plate to see if that makes a difference. Really don't wanna run with the old one, but might have to if the new one turns out to be incorrect in some fashion.

-Greg.

Comment

Looks like you just need to adjust the clutch cable get a pry bar and try to move the clutch (arm) fork if it feels like there is resistance than most likely that the cable just needs adjusted also I noticed that in the second picture that the spring on the clutch fork isn't there
        Last edited by muddevil01; 10-21-2010, 09:02 PM.
        Justin Craig Paola Kansas my 4 passions, demolition derby,Ford 2.3s, my festiva and my kids

Comment

hmmm, now I'm questioning my parts supplier. Any chance they sent me the wrong piece? It's full clutch kit made by Valeo, part number 51802001. It came with pressure plate, clutch disk, flywheel bearing, throw-out bearing, and installation tool.

I don't know if that will help, but I've been impressed before by the vast knowledge available on this forum.

-Greg.

Comment

How much did they shave off the flywheel ? resurfacing will move the position of the adjusting nut. When you consider the release levers length. ^^^ Do what Muddevil01 said. As you prybar the release lever over watch the clutch through the starter hole to visually confirm pressure plate movement.
            (paperboy 23) 88 Festy Blue, aspire Engine/trans/efi swap,

Comment

the fingers going flat as the PP is installed is normal. did you replace the throwout bearing? is there one installed on the inputshaft of the trans? resurfacing the flywheel won't cause that much clearance (figuring a typical .010" resurface).
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Occhty - I didn't get an exact amount of material removed in the resurface, but i'm thinking it would be measured in thousandths. (or .010" like FestYboy says)

FestYboy - yup, replaced the throw-out bearing, that was part of the kit. I like the looks of the new one, it seems to be of a "beefier" design. Thanks for letting me know the fingers should go flat, maybe I'm getting worried over nothing.

I'm going to give it a pry to see if it moves at all, good suggestion on looking through the starter hole to see the PP move.

Thanks for all the input, I'll let you know the outcome.

-Greg.

Comment

Working...
                X