Front cat gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front cat gasket?

I have a fairly big leak at the front of the cat. converter. It looks like the gasket runs $20 even then have to order it. Anyone replace this gasket? Any other options? Well I guess I could have it cut out and straight pipe.. already did that once not again!
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

Never had the metal "donut" gasket go bad.
    The flange on the down pipe that mates to the cat and contains the "donut" gasket I have had to have welded a few times.
    Gives the same symptoms, big exhaust leak!
    As a matter of fact it needs it now.
    Check to make sure its not the flange that has broke.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Mine was leaking there aswell....i took the donut out, flipped it and put it all back together. Gave it a little more of a crush fit.
      Tyler

91 Festiva, 5spd, B8 swapped, now for paint and suspension

Comment

20 bucks....holy crap....got one for a few bucks last time I needed one.
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Actually it was $9.xx. Went ahead and replaced it. The flanges looks good. I was surprised at the ease it was to replace it. One little tap and the old one fell out and only had to undo 2 bolts. As far as quieter it was around the block we'll see on the highway. Most of the noise is coming from the intake may have to put the silencer back on. Still between the new wheel bearing I put on and the exhaust hopefully be a nice ride to St. Louis!
          91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Mine is leaking there too.
            89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
            My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

My Festiva had a leak there as well even after replacing the doughnut. It has 385,000 mi on it so I figured the springs could use a little help. A couple of washers tightened up the seal and stopped the leak.

Comment

If that is the one with a conical graphite seal, it shouldn't cost more than about 4 or 5 bucks at the most.

Comment

Working...
                X