Trans question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans question

I have an F-series trans that will be used with my b8....was looking at it last night, and was wondering if I should be able to look through the axle holes without anything in the way. The splines that the axles slide into are still intact, but there is a rod that is between the right and left side splines. Is this normal? I did not try to insert either of the axles though... Just want to make sure my spider gears didn't fall....
    Tyler

91 Festiva, 5spd, B8 swapped, now for paint and suspension

^^that'd be the diff pin you were looking at.... It sounds like everything is normal with your trans

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Yep if that pin ISN'T there, thats when you have a problem. Sounds like you're good to go! And if you're worried about the gear you can cut a couple of 6" long pieces of I think 3/4" PVC and stick them in the axle holes, its a pretty snug fit. Thats what I've used in the past when transporting transmissions.
      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

SWEET! You guys are angels haha that is a huge relief....thanks guys!
        Tyler

91 Festiva, 5spd, B8 swapped, now for paint and suspension

Comment

Whatever you do , do not turn the transmission with nothing in there. The spider gears will fall out of place........big problem.

Comment

Originally posted by denguy View Post
            Whatever you do , do not turn the transmission with nothing in there. The spider gears will fall out of place........big problem.
            That sounds like the voice of experience.
            You gonna race that thing?
            http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Not the spider gears...the cross pin holds them in place. The side gears can fall out of place.....
              1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
              1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
              1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
              1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
              1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
              1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
              1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

Working...
              X