Festy front wheel bearings question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festy front wheel bearings question

Rockauto tells me theres only 2 bearings required PER VEHICULE , when theres actually 2 per side.

Are all 4 the same bearings? The part number is SKF BR11.

Yes, for the front, all bearings are the same.

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixSHO View Post
      Rockauto tells me theres only 2 bearings required PER VEHICULE ,when theres actually 2 per side.

Are all 4 the same bearings? The part number is SKF BR11.
      Rock Auto is wrong. Two bearings are required for each side. I am looking at the kit I got from FMS; two bearings, two seals, all for one side. Both bearings are identical, including the part #. The two seals are not identical to each other.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Makes sense , I also found a timken set11 , which is a bearing kit for the front (both) , in the drivetrain/differantial category instead in the wheel bearings cat.

fftheair:

Comment

FWIW, same bearing set as the Aspire.
          I'd go with the Timkins, few more dollars but fewer failures for me!
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

a bearing set means only one bearing and the outer race. you need two sets per wheel in the front.
            89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
            94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
            2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
            1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Nerd Racing View Post
              a bearing set means only one bearing and the outer race. you need two sets per wheel in the front.
              I don't think this is quite right. While the inner and outer bearings on the knuckle are identical, they have different seals.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

no Tom, Arron has it right, a "set" consists of a bearing and race (2 required for each wheel: inner and outer) and the seal is nearly always an inner dust seal to keep grease in and dirt out (one per wheel).
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

If the brand of bearings changes do the preload spacers have to change too?
                  If the brand of bearings stays the same can the preload spacers be re-used?
                  I have a pair of spindles off a junk yard car. One of the bearings was replaced.
                  That side has a different size preload spacer than the other. One size up.
                  I think one is 12 and the other 13. Assume those are millimeters.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

^^^
                    Spindles don't have preload spacers, hubs do.

The preload spacers are hub specific not bearing specific.
                    So you could well have different spacers in the set of hubs.
                    DO NOT MIX THEM UP!
                    A good quality bearing/race is made to much higher tolerances than our hubs were.
                    Thus the need for 21 different spacers.
                    That said, if you got a crappy set of Chinese bearings you could well need to change the spacer.
                    I have stuck with Timkin bearings and have had no failures in those and have never replaced a spacer.
                    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                    Your holy ghost will not save you.
                    Your God plutonium will not save you.
                    In fact...
                    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                    X