I'm having a humming noise coming from the front when I drive the car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm having a humming noise coming from the front when I drive the car

Recently, I'm having a humming noise coming from the front when I drive the car and gets louder when increasing speed. I greased all the front bearings and they look good but still the noise exists. What seems to be the problem? Could be a bearing from the gearbox or the cv shafts coming from the gearbox?
    :festiva: 1995 Kia Pride, 1.3 EFI, manual. :fred:

How did you grease the front bearings?
    To do that properly you'd have had to disassemble the hubs.
    That aside, the noise could easily be from tires or rear bearings.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
      How did you grease the front bearings?
      To do that properly you'd have had to disassemble the hubs.
      That aside, the noise could easily be from tires or rear bearings.
      That's what I done. I disassembled the bearings and greased them but still the noise remains.

Comment

Does changing gears or applying the brakes have any effect on the humming noise? Does taking the car out of gear a coasting have any effect? Does the humming change going around corners? If you swap the front tires does it have any effect? Are the tires fully inflated? Is there anything stuck in the tire tread?
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

It will do it always. How could it be the tyres if there was none about 2 weeks ago?

Comment

look for feathering in the treads, that will cause a hum.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Could it be the cv axle bearings are going out?
              Man should eat when he can for Man does not know when his last meal will be.

Comment

^ they make a clicking noise
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Just jack up the front end and put it in gear, if it makes no noise then it is the tires

Comment

Originally posted by JoDan View Post
                    Just jack up the front end and put it in gear, if it makes no noise then it is the tires

When mine went they only made noise with the weight of the car on them, when jacked up and ran in gear no noise at all.

Just rotate the front tires to the rear if the noise follows to the rear it's tires. If they are cupped/ feathered enough to make noise you should be able to see/feel the wear.

It could still be bearings, the part you can see may look good but you can't see the the surface inside the bearing cage that the rollers contact.
                    Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
                    1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Working...
                    X