Replacing heater box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing heater box

91 Festiva 1.3 manual I am having problems with my defrosters. My blower motor is fine but my heater control cables were binding. I took them out to inspect, they are fine, but my defrosters aren't blowing much air and alot of the air from the blower motor is coming through the center vent above the radio and the A/C vents. I even tried to manipulate the heater box "flappers" manually but can't get 100% defrosters. I may need to pull and replace the heater box itself, but can't figure how. Someone please help, I've had this car since 92 and thought it would be a "disposable" car. But after putting 148,000 on it, it's been the best car I've EVER owned!! It's carried all 320 lbs of me all these years just fine. Thanks Ty
    1991 Festiva, All Factory, Best car I ever had!!!!

Re: Replacing heater box

Maybe the cable needs adjusting? The plastic "sleeve" of the cable is held in place by a metal tab; maybe pop the cable out and give it more or less slack and see what that does.

Regards,

Tim
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Heater box problems

I have unhooked the cables from the bottom side and moved the mechanical flappers all the way by hand and still only get about 35% of my defroster flow. I think something is wrong within the heater box itself. Ty

Comment

you won't get much airflow to the def vents. I've had the box apart, and the path to the def ports is very restrictive. some of the air forces out through the floor vents. Its normal.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Defroster problems

I understand this defroster won't "blow me away", but the problem that concerns me most is that 65% of the air being blown by the blower motor is coming out of the vents, while on defrost setting, whether it be with the cables attached or if I move the "flapper/diverter" with my hands. I think something is wrong within the heater box. What's the easiest way to remove the heater box, local junk yard has one I can get to replace mine? Thanks, Ty

Comment

sounds like the foam seal on the diverter door is shot. You don't need a new box, just new foam on the door. You'll have to remove the box to open it and gain access tot the door. 1/8" foam from JoAnn Fabrics and some spray adhesive will fix it up.
            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Heater box

Jim thanks for the reply, I'm so sorry you were forced to live in Edgewood...hahaha. I think you had my answer in the last response! I may need to replace the foam, or the diverter door may be hung up. Now the question is, how do I remove the heater box? I'm a big man, 6 ft. 320 lbs., and needless to say I'm not a contortionist, but I'll do what is needed to keep my baby running. Thanks Ty

Comment

I can sympathize.... I'm 6'3" and 270lbs

never had to take one out myself.... maybe someone else can help?
                Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

You have to unbolt the A/C core (or the pipe if there's no A/C) since it fits into the diverter box thing.

After that you disconnect the cable to the diverter and undo a few more bolts.

Taking out the glovebox helps a lot.

Regards,

Tim
                  White '89L auto - Sold!
                  Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

or pull the dash
                    Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
                    1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
                    1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
                    2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

Still messing with vents...

OK, I was able to get hot air to my defrosters by working the ducts manually. The question now is: where does the air come into the car when you turn on your vents for outside air? Mine apparently are stuck open and I have air comming through my dash vents....gets cold in mornings, so I had to revert to putting duct tape over my dash vents to stop the outside air from comming through. Once I figure out where the air enters the car, I'll just seal off that exterior opening.
                      Please Help. Thanks, Ty

Comment

the fresh/recirculate door is located to the very far right in your dash, sort of behind and up of your right speaker.

and the cable runs horizontally , right behind your glove box door.

if you put your hand up to the very end 45 degree cut out and feel a foam door, your stuck in fresh air mode.

Comment

Vents

Thanks for the reply regarding outside vents! Maybe it won't get as cold now and I can remove the duct tape from my vents!! Thank You

Comment

Working...
                          X