Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant Leak

Hey guys. Big time Facepalm here.

I checked the coolant when I picked up my 89 FI auto and it looked murky, so what do I do? Flush the old coolant out (it was also only good to -20C so thats not good enough for us in the cold north) and decided I would run some cleaner through it. Flushed that out and filled with new -37 coolant. Now its leaking. Not much, but enough that I lost approximately 450 ml's in about 48 hours. Not good.

From what I can tell its leaking somewhere of the passenger side of the block, close to the belt. The motor is so crusty that I cant determine exactly where its leaking from. It's for sure not the rad itself or any of the hoses. I've run some stop leak through the system (the stop leak is brown and murky, go figure) and it slowed it down but it has not stopped.

Any ideas from you Pros about where I should concentrate on looking?

Thanks in advance!

Matt
    How I get around:
    2005 Jeep Rubicon. Ruby! 15 Mpg's of Awesome
    1989 Festiva Fuelly (Winter Rally Car)
    1986 Honda VFR 750 Interceptor
    1965 CCM Board Track Special

I would say there's a good chance it's the water pump.

It may also possibly be the pipe coming from the pump that the lower hose/heater hose attaches to. Could even be the "O" ring sealed connection on the above mentioned pipe where the heater hose tubing attaches to the bigger pipe.

If it's determined the water pump it the culprit, it would be a good time to change the timing belt as well. May save an extra trip to the parts store and time changing it later on.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by lessersivad View Post
      I would say there's a good chance it's the water pump.

It may also possibly be the pipe coming from the pump that the lower hose/heater hose attaches to. Could even be the "O" ring sealed connection on the above mentioned pipe where the heater hose tubing attaches to the bigger pipe.

If it's determined the water pump it the culprit, it would be a good time to change the timing belt as well. May save an extra trip to the parts store and time changing it later on.

Hope this helps.
      The "o" Ring on the bypass pipe sounds like a good possibility.
      Tyler

91 Festiva, 5spd, B8 swapped, now for paint and suspension

Comment

I actually have the same issue. I can get out of my car and watch coolant drip.

So would the O-ring be the water outlet O-ring?
        Last edited by big_ty2003; 11-09-2010, 09:59 AM.

1993 Festiva L, aspire swapped, selling parts for a BP+T build.

Comment

UPDATE. I guess the stop leak formula just takes some time to work. It has stopped. I was just a tad impatient.

Now all I have to do is paint my winter wheels gold! bhahahahaha!
          How I get around:
          2005 Jeep Rubicon. Ruby! 15 Mpg's of Awesome
          1989 Festiva Fuelly (Winter Rally Car)
          1986 Honda VFR 750 Interceptor
          1965 CCM Board Track Special

Comment

Isn't there a bypass hose around or under the intake area that could be leaking.
            ROBc

Comment

Originally posted by big_ty2003 View Post
              I actually have the same issue. I can get out of my car and watch coolant drip.

So would the O-ring be the water outlet O-ring?
              The "O" ring I was referring to is located where the 2 small sections of pipe connect. It's the pipe that runs under the exhaust manifold, (on the front of the block), and around past the distributor.

There is a "slip" connection where that small pipe is spliced close to the water pump pipe that goes to the lower radiator hose.

Comment

I'll have to take a closer look at it tonight. Thanks Russ!

1993 Festiva L, aspire swapped, selling parts for a BP+T build.

Comment

i had some coolant leaks in my car and had to change the intake manifold hoses behind the valve cover. you can see the new hoses in this picture right below the throttle body. The old hoses get all soft and eventually will start to leak over time. Its easier to change the hoses with the valve cover off cause its really hard to see with all the things blocking it. Hope this helps everyone!!
                  Last edited by jtugfestiva; 11-09-2010, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X