Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiper Arm issue

Evening all,

Having an issue with fixing the left wiper arm on mom's 90L (I do all the work on her Festiva too) ... I can move it up and down in the motion the motor would go in to send it up and down the window.... the passenger side does not move when doing so. when I turn the wipers on they work in unison but when they are off I have this problem.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.... someone told my father that you could access this from under the dash, if I recall correctly having taken the dash out this is not so.... Personally it is not a bother but she wants it done and I try to never argue with my mother (wouldn't get far if I did anyway and it's downright disrespectful)

Thanx
    Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
    89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
    Projects in the works:
    84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Possible stripped broaching on wiper arm?
    Carefully remove the cover on the wiper arm.
    Remove the nut.
    Pull the wiper arm straight off and inspect the broaching to ensure it is not worn away. If so you will need a new wiper arm.

The wiper assembly is completely servicable from the engine firewall. If one moves, the other should move too.

Good luck.

Comment

the wiper moves when you run the wiper motor with the passenger side wiper it's just you can pick it up and jostle it but the passenger side is snug and doesn't move..... wondering if theres a way to just tighten something up to make it stay in place.... it has some sort of plastic boot around it so I'm trying to figure out if that'd impeed fixing it
      Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
      Projects in the works:
      84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

The nut is probably loose.
        It's a tapered broach.
        When you tighten it down, it will be snug again.

Comment

must try that this evening when I get home.... the car is off for the day
          Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
          Projects in the works:

Comment

looked at it personally and it's the loose where the piece mounts to hold it to the sheet metal I'm wondering if its a couple of loose nuts hold it to that....
            Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
            Projects in the works:

Comment

sorry to rehash an old thread but I never got it fixed, been attempting to get it fixed the last few days, how ridgid is the cowl metal? I'm trying to make threads on the little studd looking things that come up next to where the wiper arm connects to the assembly and put nuts over them and bolt them to the cowl if it's strong enough or do I need to add another piece of metal underneath it to keep it from fatiguing
              Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
              Projects in the works:

Comment

Andrew, I could never figure out what your problem was here, because in your first post you said, "...when I turn the wipers on they work in unison but when they are off I have this problem."

If they both "work in unison" when on, what is the problem?

Can you post pictures?

Karl
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

If I'm understanding correctly, they work fine when switched on, but when off the driver's side has play that the passenger side doesn't, correct? If that is the case, it may be the spring on the wiper arm that is worn. Can't remember now if that's serviceable, or if it means a trip to the yard.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                  1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                  1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                  Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I'm probably explaining it all wrong, I'm thinking it's not the arm itself ((I personally only looked at it last night and a few weeks ago) (first few times were dark)) I think it's got something to do with where the broach and nut come through the cowl being loose. I'll go take pictures now.
                    Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
                    Projects in the works:

Comment

Check closely, I have seen the metal crack where the mount. Around the nut
                      Brian
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                      :fish:

Comment

I'm trying to figure out if that's the problem, which I think it is.... can't seem to find the camera to take pics... have fresh batteries for it if I can ever find it...
                        Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
                        Projects in the works:

Comment

I think you can pull the rubbery boots up off and maybe tighten something underneath where the wiper body mounts to the cowl?

Karl
                          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
                          X