No announcement yet.

Unlock the hatchback from inside - how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unlock the hatchback from inside - how?

The hatchback door has been rattling around, so i went to fix it and well, i overfixed it. I put a piece of tough foam on the U part, the part the latch grabs onto, and shut the door. No rattle, but i can't open the hatchback anymore either. Gripping and pulling the lever does nothing. Can i open the hatchback door somehow from the inside of the car? I'll gladly have the rattle if i can again open the hatchback from the outside!

undo the hatch latch nuts from inside... requires climbing over the seat....
    Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
    89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
    Projects in the works:
    84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

There is a little lever that you can push to the left from inside if your foam has not jammed everything immobile. Try a flathead screwdriver to push it if your fingers won't work. If that doesn't do it, then go for those nuts like the good doctor suggested.

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

other option is PUSH the hatch in while pulling the handle, then lift hatch. have to do that to 2 of my festys.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Got it open and repaired it properly...

Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated. Even if they're just out of exhibitionism

How: After driving a few days with the hatch not opening, i again noticed a rattle, and yes the hatch had come undone by itself. So i tore off the foam riser i'd placed on the latch, and place a piece of foam on the two rubber knobs each side of the car where the hatchback meets the car when closed. All's well...no more rattling and the hatchback sits snug ... but not too snug.

PS: The "foam" i used is actually a snippet of fabric pad you can buy to protect hardwood floor from table and chair legs etc. Easy to find at Lowe's etc.

Comment

Glad it worked itself out!

Karl
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
            X