93 festiva cuts-out at high speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 festiva cuts-out at high speeds

I bought a 93 festiva 5 speed manual fuel injected. 98 thousand original miles. Been running great for a couple months. Suddenly its cutting out and running rough at around sixty five mph. Runs fine in lower gears, excellerates fine, but once I'm up to speed, pushing seventy, it'll suddenly start cutting out. But only does it intermittenly. When it happens, can't excellerate. Staggers and cuts out for a moment, then it's fine. But it recurres. And is recurring more frequently and will probably get worse. Any ideas what might be wrong?
    Thanks.
    Big Don.

I wouldent imagine that the govener is kicking in. The only other thing I could think of off the top of my head is maybe your fuel pump cant keep up. I am just guessing right now, but I am sure someone on here will be able to help you out more than I can.
    Man should eat when he can for Man does not know when his last meal will be.

Comment

inspect your dizzy cap, rotor, and under the dust cap (under the rotor). look for oil, and if you see it, spray it down with brake clean. also i would recomend a new coil (accel super coil # 8041 IIRC), and new plugs (copper core only).
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thanks you guys,
        I'm devoting blue monday to the car.

Comment

Try those suggestions and if they don't work, check your VAF connections (electrical and also pipe fittings) and the VAF itself. Maybe your symptoms could be caused by a different air flow into the engine bay messing with VAF connections? Maybe a loose VAF air hose clamp? Just a theory!

I say this because whenever I've had a problem with running rough and the engine losing almost all power, it was a bad VAF or VAF connection.

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Hello Safety Guy,
            Thanks for the tip. I'll check the VAF (vane air flow sensor?) where ever that is. There's also this: When my problem occurs the check engine light does NOT flash on. I'm assuming the problem hasn't gotten serious enough yet. Can I still hook the car up to an anylizer and find the problem? Any thoughts on that?
            Thanks,
            Big Don.

Comment

I can only tell you that when my VAF acted up, the red CE light DID come on, so maybe that's not it. Then again, your CE light could be burnt out or not operating.

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                inspect your dizzy cap, rotor, and under the dust cap (under the rotor). look for oil, and if you see it, spray it down with brake clean. also i would recomend a new coil (accel super coil # 8041 IIRC), and new plugs (copper core only).
                X2! Batstiva had the same problem you are having. What Arty said corrected it immediately.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I'm not the brightest guy when it comes to cars but it sounds like fuel starvation> I'd start by changing the fuel filter and go from there.

Comment

Working...
                  X