Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gassy Festy

Hi all

I have a 1990 Ford Festiva I bought several months ago. It has been a project for this whole period and is getting drivable now.

It gets very poor fuel milage(17-20 mpg)

The fuel filter has been changed, it is a 5 speed, it fouls spark plugs on 2 cylinders

It always smells extremely gassy, I have messed with the idle and the timing as much as possible and it just doesn't help.

Any ideas why such bad fuel economy?

Start with the basics... ensure that the VAFM and O2 Sensor are operating well and are clean. Electrical cleaner will work for the former, and gasoline for the latter. Once you've got that nailed, then we'll see how things go.

Also ensure that your tires and tire pressure are up to spec, that you aren't constantly driving the heck out of the motor/transmission, and other fuel economy basics. But at sub-20mpg, you're having serious issues. I suspect either VAFM or O2S, perhaps even both to be honest.

Ensure your plugs and wires are both good, and the air filter as well. Also take a look at your thermostat and ensure it's operational. If it's not permitting things to run hot enough, you could be stuck in closed loop.
    1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronbrook37 View Post
      Also take a look at your thermostat and ensure it's operational. If it's not permitting things to run hot enough, you could be stuck in OPEN loop.
      also be sure to check the opperation of your injectors (make sure they're clicking, especially the ones associated with the fowled plugs. if your injectors are sticking open, they will cause those cylinders to run rich and likely fowl. and replace the fowled plugs, its not doing you any good to test with bad plugs.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Welcome to the site! It will help you and us if you put your location in your profile.
        Go to User CP (top of the Page in the blue bar)
        Control Panel(left side of screen)
        Edit Your Details-scroll to bottom of page to Location.

Also, about the gas mileage, make sure your parking brake is fully disengaging.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
          also be sure to check the opperation of your injectors (make sure they're clicking, especially the ones associated with the fowled plugs. if your injectors are sticking open, they will cause those cylinders to run rich and likely fowl. and replace the fowled plugs, its not doing you any good to test with bad plugs.
          Oops sorry... thanks for the coverage, good sir! This is why I shouldn't reply to technical threads before 9AM haha.
          1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Working...
          X