Car turns over but won't start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car turns over but won't start?

During this last cold snap, something's apparently gone wrong with my car...
    The car won't start. I have a new battery in it, tried jump-starting it, and it turns over but won't 'catch' and start up.
    The piece that connects to the negative battery terminal is a bit of a mickey-mouse job, but since the car is turning over, it couldn't be the ground, could it?

Do any of you have any ideas as to what things I might check to see why a car's engine would turn over but not fire up? Maybe there's just some magic wire I need to wiggle...? :dontknow:
    Last edited by NABEF9; 11-22-2010, 09:14 PM.

1992 Festiva L

Check your compression, if you are getting gas in the cylinders, is the air filter clogged? Do you have spark? Any recent work done?
    :cry_smile: RIP. 91 Ford festiva BP swap

1990 Mazda Miata BP swap, 99 trans, 3.9 Torsen rear end, Mazdaspeed6 k04 turbo on 15 psi.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response!
      I don't know how to check my compression; air filter is clean, not sure if I have a spark...?
      And no, there hasn't been any recent work done.

1992 Festiva L

Comment

Go to auto zone, advanced any parts store should lone you a compression tester. It plugs into you spark plug hole and tells you the psi in the cylinder. To check spark stick a screw driver in your spark plug end keeping it plugged into the wire and put it next to something metal ie. Firewall. Have some one tuen over the motor while you look to see if a spark jumps from the screw driver to the fire wall. (google it). Another way to check if you have compression is to pull a plug and put your thumb over the whole while someone turns the motor over. Are you getting gas?
        :cry_smile: RIP. 91 Ford festiva BP swap

1990 Mazda Miata BP swap, 99 trans, 3.9 Torsen rear end, Mazdaspeed6 k04 turbo on 15 psi.

Comment

I would suspect if this just happened all of the sudden the either the timing belt snapped or the module went bad in the dist.
          Brian
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
          :fish:

Comment

what, no one thought to check the FUSES!?!?!
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
              what, no one thought to check the FUSES!?!?!
              Funny story...I actually had forgotten to check those :tard:

Half an hour ago, at Sasquatch's suggestion, I checked those...they are all fine...he is going to come by and take a look at it with me in a couple of days, since (unlike me) he actually knows what he's doing when it comes to cars.

1992 Festiva L

Comment

One more easy thing to check before Sasquatch gets there would be the inertia switch which is in the back just above the left rear strut tower. Push the button and see. It activates when a big enough bump is hit and turns off the fuel pump.

Probably not it, but worth a shot.

Karl
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                  One more easy thing to check before Sasquatch gets there would be the inertia switch which is in the back just above the left rear strut tower. Push the button and see. It activates when a big enough bump is hit and turns off the fuel pump.

Probably not it, but worth a shot.

Karl
                  I'll give it a try!

Thanks everyone for your replies! This really is the most helpful forum I've ever been to.

1992 Festiva L

Comment

I had the same thing happen last winter. Fb71 helped me pin out the issue. Turned port to be the main relay behind the riverside headlight.
                    It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

I plug in the block heater on cold days. An hour does the trick. AFAIK all Festivas sold in Canada had the block heater factory installed.
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Question - if I've got 2/3 of a tank of gas and my fuel line is frozen, should the gas gauge still move up to the 2/3 point? Or would a frozen fuel line make it so that the car's gas gauge wouldn't register the amount in the tank?

1992 Festiva L

Comment

Gauge will still move if fuel line is frozen.
                          Brian
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                          :fish:

Comment

Originally posted by 25Horseplay View Post
                            Gauge will still move if fuel line is frozen.
                            Thanks

1992 Festiva L

Comment

Hmm, one last question...my car is a 1992 L model. When I turn my key to the 'on' position (without starting the car), should my fuel gauge rise?
                              I'm new to the world of Festivas...lol

1992 Festiva L

Comment

Working...
                              X