Just bought 92 Festiva...shifter really loose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought 92 Festiva...shifter really loose

I'm new with no experience in maintenance. I got this car for really cheap with the knowledge that I can learn to do the maintenance myself with some help.

Pretty much the only thing wrong with it is a leaky head cover gasket and the shifter being really loose. The gasket I'm not worried about...because I know people that can help me with it.

My concern is with the shifter...I've read on the forum that a lot of you like to replace the stock shifter with the 92-95 Civic short-shifter. But is simply replacing the shifter with this going to fix the looseness?

I apologize if this has been covered previously, I just couldn't find it.

Welcome to the site!
    The looseness sounds like it's your bushings. There are some threads around with info on that just do a bit of searching. The civic short throw is a good mod to do also at the same time you replace the bushings.

Also did you mean the valve cover gasket? That will be a simple fix.

You picked a great car to learn on. It's also the car I'm learning on. I knew nothing starting and know quite a bit more now. This site is a great resource and will be very helpful.

Good luck!

Here is a link to get you started
    Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)
    Last edited by Charlie1717; 11-27-2010, 10:29 AM.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
    The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

If your shifter is "falling," this is your solution:

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

If it's just "really loose," I believe you may need new shifter bushings. I read somewhere that '93 Protege shifter bushings will work. Not sure if those bushings are in the shifter itself or at the shift rod/transaxle junction. Maybe someone else can comment?

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Search this item number on EBAY. 170542738839

They really tightened up my shifters.

Comment

Try going to a Mazda dealer and buying bushings for a late 80's 323 they should be available still.
          Brian
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
          :fish:

Comment

Originally posted by denguy View Post
            Search this item number on EBAY. 170542738839

They really tightened up my shifters.
            Hey these are cool but.....
            I wish they were in the states.
            Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

The included bolt and third set of bushings is for replacing the pin in the shift rod u joint that you have to grind the head off to get out.

Comment

Working...
              X