Flat towing 1993 Festiva automatic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat towing 1993 Festiva automatic

A friend of mine has a 1994 Festiva with an automatic trans.He wants to flat tow it behind his motorhome.I know you can't tow most automatics without wrecking the trans.Anyone know about this Festiva. Thanks Jim :?:

sure, he can flat-tow it. He just has to carry a 5gallon bucket of magic tranny smoke. Cuz flat-towing will let all the factory magic smoke outta the tranny, so he'll have to refill it before he can drive it!

Seriously, don't let him. He'll roach the tranny. The lube pump isn't running, so all the bearings and bushings will run dry. :cry:

Comment

Shorty and I flat towed Zippy from NE OK to SE TX we pulled the cvs and put inner and outter cv spline ends in the holes to keep the gears from messing up. I don't think the hubs require the outter splines to roll, but I didn't have time to think about it and we already had the splines. If the outter splines aren't needed, then you could just pull the outter splines and tie up the cvs.

Better yet get a tow dolly, especially if you plan on stopping and driving it around during long hauls. An auto Festiva cannot be put in neutral and towed.. as FB71 said.. it will roast the trans..

Comment

Thanks guys,I'll let him know. :cry:

Comment

Manual transmissions rock...
          White '89L auto - Sold!
          Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

I did see a kit on ebay that (I guess) pumps the fluid while you tow it. Seemed a bit over kill, but it was used for a car towed behind an RV.

Comment

those systems don't work worth a piss. I know first hand. rebuilt enough of them (mostly Explorers).

Comment

hooking up a hydrolic pump

here is the pdf for installing a REMCO LP-1 hydraulic pump for an ATX Festiva

Comment

Working...
                X