Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studder on cold engine B6/MT

Hey all,

My winter festiva is having a issue that seems to be more prevalent.

In the mornings, I will start the car and head to work. When I take off from a light I sometimes get a shudder or hiccup from the engine. Also when I am cruising on a flat piece of road and shift into 4th it will shudder or buck like it is misfiring. If I downshift back to third it doesn't do it. Only appears to have a problem when the engine is cold. The idle has always been a bit uneven so I don't know if this is a problem getting worse or something new not related to my uneven idle.

I have noticed this problem 4 times. 1 day was damp out, 1 day was dry but very cold, yesterday was normal weather and 40's, today pouring all night and 60 degrees.

The car is a 92 with a B6 swap, and manual transmission. This is the car I drove out west and have put 20k on it since last year wihtout a problem before.

Car also never seems to build heat even though I have the correct thermostat in it, but that may be because I have a automatic radiator (dual core) or the thermostat needs to be replaced.

If this has been covered before a link would be great, but I couldn't find anything in the search that sounded like the same problem.

Logan

I think I am going to start with a new set of plugs and wires tonight, and try and figure out how to clean the VAF. From all the threads I have read these are common problems areas. I changed the plugs last june for my trip along with new wires though, but worth a shot.

Comment

Checked the plugs the look perfect, not sure if I should change them. I too the air filter off and the VAF out and cleaned them up a bit. Both are very greasy. I will have to wait till the morning to see if that made any difference.

Comment

be sure to clean out your dizzy as well and recheck base timing whilre your at it.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

^Thank you, will do. Just incase I can't find it, base timing is 16 degrees right? Will search.
          Last edited by Gforcefd; 12-02-2010, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Forgot to mention my temp gauge always read really low, I cleaned up the temp sensor (the one below and to the left of the thermostat) and now that gauge works perfectly. I always thought maybe my thermostat was bad that I put in, but apparently there was just too much corrosion on that sensor. Would that sensor affect anything on the ECU/PCM? My idle is still a little funky this morning but I didn't have a studder, will have to see if it comes back again.

Comment

Working...
            X