Gots no powa!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gots no powa!!!

I have an 88 LX with a carb. Recently the car started dropping power until it wouldn't get out of it's own way. Hills I use to climb in 5 now require me to downshift to 3rd or even second at some points. I noticed if I moved the distributor, that performance was better, but eventually it lost power again.

I replaced the timing belt thinking it may have stretched, but that didn't alleviate the problem either. I have verified the timing by lining up the timing marks, and have even tried advancing and retarding the camshaft by one tooth in either direction. I did this since I thought I could be off one tooth. It is now back to the stock location.

I have a done a tune-up with new, wires, cap, button and plugs. The old plugs looked terrible, but new plugs made no difference in the way the car runs.

Compression tests show about 130lbs across the board, which isn't too bad considering the mileage. 260k.

The car just seems to be in a constant bogged condition. I'm planning on a carb swap or rebuild soon.

Any other ideas?

Actually 130's low for that mileage.. unless it wasn't well taken care of. My recommendation would be to drop some seafoam thru the carb, tim can give you pointers on that, and a dose of auto-rx =auto-rx.com is there website - maybe some MMO. See if that boost the numbers up some. Also if your timing's off it will make a difference. I have to run 89 in the aspire since the timing's off.
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Re: Gots no powa!!!

Originally posted by 5oh
      I noticed if I moved the distributor, that performance was better, but eventually it lost power again.
      Are you sure you tightened it down enough when adjusting it? If not, the disty will vibrate itself out of alignment.
      GT

Comment

Try SeaFoam first.

It's $5-6 a bottle, and I got a 10 (yes, 10) MPG increase!!!!!!!!

Start the engine and pour it down the carb until the engine stalls, let it sit for 10 minutes, fire the car up, and run it till the smoke's gone. I poured more down the carb and repeated the process about 3 times, and then took the car for a spin down the highway. It ran like s#!t for a little while but then evened itself out and noticabely improved my gas mileage at the first fillup.

Regards,

Tim
        White '89L auto - Sold!
        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

I'm buyin more stock in seafoam,LOL
          ------------------------------------------------
          The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
          Smart Passion white with H-D interior
          HD2500 Duramax Chevy
          Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
          Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
          Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
          Z28 LS1 power 500 +
          90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
          It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

I'll try it, but I am not much on snake oil remedies.

Comment

have you checked the fuel filters?

Have you checked the fuel filters? and fuel pump? check that timing and make sure the bolts are snug tight, I had my distributer shake loose a few months ago and it fried some electronics. Make sure them bolts are snug cause they can shake out and loose. Maybe speed up the timing a tad but not too much so you dont get pre detonation, and toy with it by taking it around the block to where you get that wanted power, by just moving it a bit can make a big difference. Good luck

Comment

I have verified the timing with a light and the distributor hold downs are doing their job.
                In order to get the car to run at this point, I have to hold the throttle wide open for about 30 seconds. It will then clear up and idle. It seems like the accelerator pump isn't doing it's job.
                I ordered a kit and hopefully it will help. If not, expect to see a parts car for sale in the classified. I have wanted to do a B6 swap, but with the horror stories concerning the JDM carbed motors, I'll probably sell what I can and crush the rest.

Comment

Working...
                X