Spedometer cable help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spedometer cable help!

So I was driving today and all of a sudden my spedometer started jumping around then went above 85 and started making a really loud annoying noise that almost sounded like a fire alarm. I removed the speedo cable and it seemed a little sticky. Festeve told me to try some wd40 do I did cleaned it up real nice re installed. Same problem even tried some wd40 in the tube too. No luck. Any suggestions, anyone else with this problem?
    :cry_smile: RIP. 91 Ford festiva BP swap

1990 Mazda Miata BP swap, 99 trans, 3.9 Torsen rear end, Mazdaspeed6 k04 turbo on 15 psi.

I had that problem with my 95, all it was with mine is the spline wasn't clipping in right into the back of the cluster. It was worn, but if i push it in by gaffa tape its fine lol. It died when i was interstate it was the only fix I could do lol.
    Fun and Festy!
    www.zappascomputers.com.au
    My Festy, My Girls Festy and My Hillman Minx

Comment

Ny way to tell if it is clipping in right?

1990 Mazda Miata BP swap, 99 trans, 3.9 Torsen rear end, Mazdaspeed6 k04 turbo on 15 psi.

Comment

If you disconnect the cable from the gearbox you should be able to push/pull it through the fire wall, not all too much but enough. So when you take the cluster out you can see if it is clipping in or not.
        Fun and Festy!

Comment

Tried everything, but I managed to fix it. The fix is called street race app for android

Comment

There is a brand new speedo cable on Ebay right now
            Brian
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
            :fish:

Comment

Here in Aus there are plenty sitting out in the wreckers that are still good!
              Fun and Festy!

Comment

Once in my BP car my speedometer went up above 85 and I heard a really loud noise... then I realized I was still in 3rd gear and promptly shifted to 4th. After that the noise quieted down... till the next red light turned green LOL

Seriously though, if you need a new cable I think I have a couple good ones laying around, but usually when the cable has a problem the speedo reads LOWER than it should, not higher.
                Last edited by htchbck; 12-06-2010, 07:34 AM.
                No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I don't think its the cable, possibly the tube.

Comment

Possibly, but if it is reading higher than it should I'd put my money on something being wrong with the speedo head (return spring broken or loose) rather than the cable/tube assembly. If it was the cable and not the head then that would mean the cable was somehow spinning FASTER than its supposed to, not sure how/if that would be possible.
                    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by mckabe View Post
                      So I was driving today and all of a sudden my spedometer started jumping around then went above 85 and started making a really loud annoying noise that almost sounded like a fire alarm. I removed the speedo cable and it seemed a little sticky. Festeve told me to try some wd40 do I did cleaned it up real nice re installed. Same problem even tried some wd40 in the tube too. No luck. Any suggestions, anyone else with this problem?
                      Mechanical speedometers work by spinning a couple of magnets inside an aluminum cup attached to the needle and restrained by a hair spring. If you get a bit of dust inside the cup and it is very cold (10 - 20 degrees) the magnets rub on the inside of the cup, whack the needle against the stop and make a screeching noise.

Happened to me in a 1967 Chevy pickup at about 5 degrees. BIG screech, pop, wrecked the spring, and broke off the needle.

I have had some get catchy in cold weather, but when the inside of the car warms up, be fine.

Paul
                      Red Rocket 1988 L, 133,XXX miles, 4 sp. AC, hit guard rail in snow, RIP, saved everything but body
                      Black Rocket 1988 L 207,XXX miles, 4 sp. AC, engine, trans, wire harness, radiator from RR
                      Red Rocket 2 1988 L 138,XXX miles, 4 sp
                      White Rocket 1989 L 128,XXX miles, 4 sp. AC

Comment

Working...
                      X