Performance.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance.......

Why would a stock 91 Festy with 250K have more noticeably more pickup then a stock 92 with 165K that seemed to be running fine generally?

Too many variables to know this. Here are a few:

New from factory, even parts made and put together on an assembly line may produce slightly different power outputs. I have no idea what the range is, but I wouldn't be surprised to find a 4 to 5 hp variation.

How was each car serviced through the years, by how many different owners with different ideas of "service?"

What kind of parts, lubes, fuel, etc. were used all those years by each car?

What size tires are on each? What state of engine tune? How clean are the air filters?

And so on...

When I taught driver's ed, we had mostly K cars, Horizons and Sundances. All were 2.2s. Even between the same models, some seemed quite "peppy" while others weren't.

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 12-06-2010, 04:11 PM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Maybe the '91 has a stronger clutch and the '92 is slipping ever so slightly that it isn't hardly noticable.
      You gonna race that thing?
      http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

my 91 felt stronger than the 93 i have now or any of my parents 5 they have owned an all of theirs were bought new
        Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy an taste great with katsup!!!

Comment

Maybe one was beat on by the previous owner more than the other?
          Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
          1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
          2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
          2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

Maybe it was a full moon that night, was exactly 53 degrees outside and the workers all had green shirts on when the car was being assembled.
            91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
            14 C7 Z51

Comment

Ignition timing makes a big difference. I have read that Festy with Autos are slower. Emission control changes? Air filter clean? Tires inflated properly? Elephant in the back slowing you down?

Comment

Forgot to mention that the quick one is blue and the slower one is red.

Comment

Originally posted by denguy View Post
                  Forgot to mention that the quick one is blue and the slower one is red.
                  Well, thats not right. Everyone knows red ones are faster! :p
                  Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                  Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                  Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                  Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                  http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

mine was flash yellow an it seemed much faster than any other festivas in my town back then an beleive me if another festy found itself by another at a redlight on the weekend it was on mine always seemed to have a lil more than the others
                    Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy an taste great with katsup!!!

Comment

the new skyline GTR's vary by around 100hp at the wheels...i believe the article was in car and driver...
                      I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

Remember 5hp is a 10% gain with these cars LOL... I just thought about it a second time typing it.
                        1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaB6TG25MR View Post
                          the new skyline GTR's vary by around 100hp at the wheels...i believe the article was in car and driver...
                          that's a little bit different
                          all the new gtr engines are hand made
                          not made by the same machine/computer
                          more room for variances

Comment

You mean hand assembled? They all use the same parts. Parts made by a machine/computer.
                            Oscar

Comment

Personally, if I dropped that kind of cash on a GTR to find out the next guy could have 100HP more, I would be pretty upset. I would think qualified engine builders using production parts could get more consistent. Isn't there some type of quality control? Maybe a final dyno test? Especially for a car as dedicated and expensive as the GTR. Wouldn't Nissan just fire the guy that builds the weak ones?
                              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                              62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                              Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
                              X