One thing after another

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One thing after another

Well I just recently put a webber carb in my car. The only thing I had left to do was tune the carb. It has been about two weeks since I last touched her due to surgery. So today I figure I would brave the cold weather and tune her so I can quite spending my money on gas for the truck. However, the car wouldent start. Well it would start briefly. Then when she would die I could hear the carbs butterfly close. It got to the point where the battery couldent handle it anymore so I hook the truck up to it. She started up but would die shortly there after. Now all she does is crank and crank and crank. I am really close to getting rid of her, since I am putting more money into her than my truck. Any advice on how to fix her would be greatly appreciated. I already know I have to get a battery or charge mine. What I need to figure out is why she wont fire up anymore.

P.S.

The check engine light is on. i checked the codes and its for all the vaccum senors. I assumed this is due to me hooking the electric choke up to one of the power wires. I already disconnected the choke and tried to erase the codes. What did you guys hook your choke up to? I know it was hooked up to the alternator, but I was told it had to be hooked up to 12 a constant volt wire.
    Man should eat when he can for Man does not know when his last meal will be.

is there fuel in the bowl? spark at the plugs?
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I went and got 2 gallons of gas and put it in her. Along with some ISO HEET just in case. Right now its to cold and the wife has me on kid duty.

Comment

Quick Start

I always like to give a carb a shot of Quick Start in an aerosol can. That will tell me if the problem is in the engine or the carb. I use it for snowblowers and lawnmowers too,

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
          I always like to give a carb a shot of Quick Start in an aerosol can. That will tell me if the problem is in the engine or the carb. I use it for snowblowers and lawnmowers too,
          ^^^^^^ Yeah. What he said.
          Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
          Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
          http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

I will give that shot hopefully this weekend. I pretty much gotta do what I can when I can. Pretty soon I will have to pull all nighters with the way gas prices are.

Comment

DRDDAN if it wasent for you I would have given up a long time ago, but I cant see me selling her for what I got invested in her. Plus you and everyone else keeps me going and trying. Tell ya what though I am learning a lot about carbs. One question though... Does your check engine light come on? If not, whats the secret?

Comment

Originally posted by brickdog2000 View Post
                One question though... Does your check engine light come on? If not, whats the secret?
                My secret? Well, thats pretty complicated.

(i pulled the instrument cluster out...and pulled the bulb out from the back of the panel ) but dont tell anyone.

BTW, glad I could help!

I actually pulled out the twist out plastic bulb holder, pulled the bulb out from it, and put the holder back in. If you look at the back of the instrument panel when it is out, it is clearly marked for each bulb. One will say "check". That is the check engine light.
                Dan

R.I.P.
                Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Thanks, I guess no matter what I do the light will always be on. I think I will leave on in remebrance of the old carb.

Comment

When you get tired of looking at that light, pull the cluster, takes 10 minutes to pull it, and the bulb, and reinstall.
                    Dan

R.I.P.
                    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Working...
                    X