Confused ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused ??

Timing question..... 91 1.3, two diff service manuals show white mark (crankshaft pully) allines with pointer about 12 o'clock on cover , so what good is the timing marks to the right of this at about the 2 o'clock postion above the pulley....... I see that tdc is on the timing marks so does this mean that if the white mark on the pulley is on the pointer that this is 10 degrees before tdc ??

Did I stump everyone on this one ??

Comment

hope this helps.

Pulled directly from alldata.

Credit for the drawing goes to them not me.

Comment

For locating top dead center, the book read's: "On 1988 and 1989 engines, align the pully notch with the "t" mark on the timing cover. On later engines align the yellow notch on the pully with the pointer (not on the scale) on the timing cover. There is also a white timing mark (10 degrees) on the later model crankshaft pully, but this is for ignition timing only. So use the yellow marker for finding tdc."

You probably can't see colors in the notches anymore, but the way I think of it is this. There are two notches in the pully, when the first notch in the pully is lined up with the pointer (which is coincidentaly at around 12:00), that second notch will/should be down in the scale on the timing cover found at about 2:00, and is to be used when setting the timing.
        Last edited by iceracerdude; 12-09-2010, 06:31 AM.
        97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
        CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
        Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Good info. Does this apply to the B6 as well?

I'll be looking for these two notches to color them in.

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Isn't the B6 just a bored out B3?
            Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
            91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Originally posted by r34king View Post
              hope this helps.

Pulled directly from alldata.

Credit for the drawing goes to them not me.
              Thanks for the reply....... and also the diagram

Comment

Thanks Dude.... for the info, actually I can still see the colors of the pulley. Right now I am set with the white notch on the pointer, going to move to the yellow notch and see if the white lands on the timing marks around 10 btdc on the diagram that the King just posted.... thanks again, was just confused that my service manuals show the white at high noon with the pointer, with the idle set at around 730rpm it seemed like it was idling abit high.

Comment

Working...
                X