I am thinkin fuel pump.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am thinkin fuel pump.....

all is well, good milage, good power, and starts good..... BUT!!
    every once in a while after it is warmed up and I shut it off it will be hard to start, i will have to put the gas pedal to the floor and it will start???

also my check engine light has been coming on and the idle is a bit higher than it was ????

also kinda stumbles at the light when I excelerate???

I have a parts car that I can get a pump from but you guys think its the pump??

now I have to hold the pedal to the floor to start it , engine light is on, after it starts the idle is about 1100 rpm.

fuel pump ??

My parts car is somwhere under 7 feet of snow ....... going to try get out there and pull it to see if that fixes it.

Comment

How about some details of the car:
      Year
      carbie or EFI
      ATX or manual
      for a start
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

EFI
        auto
        200 000 k
        sorry about that , I am a moron, how can you help if I don't tell you what I have....

Comment

If it roars to life it is getting plenty of gas?
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
            If it roars to life it is getting plenty of gas?
            thats the thing, it will only stall about once every 4 hours of driving in the city, when it does it will restart if you hold down the pedal and turn it over about 20 cycles.
            it will start then die, then turn the key, start then die, over and over then it will run rough and after about 30 seconds of burning all the fuel out it rund like normal.....

I will post a video to show what I am trying to say.

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

turns out a bottle of gas line antifreeze has me up and runnin like normal....

Comment

Nice!
                  Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                  Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                  "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by bassman View Post
                    turns out a bottle of gas line antifreeze has me up and runnin like normal....
                    I was going to say either water in the gas, or crud in the tank it was starting to pick up. Glad you got it going.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I thought with all the ethanol in galsoline these days gas line antifreeze was no longer needed? I think if you read the label on the gas line antifreeze it will say the principle ingredient is ethanol.
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Yeah, you'd think that would be the case, but ethanol itself cause a number of issues.
                        It will absorb water from the air itself and if the ethanol content is high enough and the temp is in the range of 0 to 20 degree F it will phase separate.
                        Meaning you get a gasoline layer and an ethanol layer.
                        They now want to push ethanol concentrations from the current 10% to 15%, so they can meet the government mandated 36 billion gallons of ethanol contaminating our gasoline supply.

Most gasoline antifreeze consist of Methanol or Isopropanol, or at least the HEET line of additives who's composition I have read about do.
                        Last edited by Pu241; 12-23-2010, 08:04 AM.
                        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                        '92 Aqua parts Car
                        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                        Your holy ghost will not save you.
                        Your God plutonium will not save you.
                        In fact...
                        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

wow, very interesting situation. I had some SUPER retarded fun times with my fuel pump doing "similar" things but it would almost NEVER restart after stalling. it kept me from FMIV and work once. but I fixed it and since haven't had issues. I keep another spare fuel pump in the car too for good measure.
                          Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
                          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

Originally posted by walth View Post
                            wow, very interesting situation. I had some SUPER retarded fun times with my fuel pump doing "similar" things but it would almost NEVER restart after stalling. it kept me from FMIV and work once. but I fixed it and since haven't had issues. I keep another spare fuel pump in the car too for good measure.
                            that was just it, it would restart and drive fine???
                            I am thinking that when i would let it sit and idle it would suck up a bit of water and stall , then I would get it going and drive and all was well till it did it again.
                            I now keep some gas line stuff and hope for the best but since the first bottle of stuff it has been good.

Comment

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

initially it would take about a day to "clear up" and you'll see between each time it was about a month. but it wasnt clearing up but somehow dying and then working again until at a stop light it quit at low idle. I was lucky all but once to be home when it quit each time.
                              Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
                              http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

Working...
                              X