4th gear disengages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4th gear disengages

i have an 88 festiva l 4 speed. when i am driving in 3rd and hit the gass the shifter moves forward and comes back when i lay off the gas, and it does the same but backwards in 4th and yesterday it started to come out of gear at random in 4th. i was told its probably the linkage, any suggestions?
    thanks guys

could possibly a synchronizer
    89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
    94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
    2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
    1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

also inspect your trans mounts, i'm sure the front one is rather weak (fill with windshield adhesive)
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I second Festboy answer.

Comment

mine did the same thing, it turned out that one of the the bearing rings in my tranny was shot. i replaced it with a 5spd tranny. if i am correct, you should be able to hold it in 4th.. for now.. but soon it will not go in 4th even if you hold it in.
          Last edited by MTec007; 12-09-2010, 12:26 AM.

Comment

One of the symptoms of a worn input shaft bearing in the transmission is the trans popping out of fourth gear. Usually there is a wierd whirring noise that goes along with it if it is the input shaft bearing. The noise is there even in neutral with the clutch let out (noise will disappear with the clutch pushed to the floor).

Comment

whats a bearing ring? im not good with cars... is the bearing replaceable or is it too expensive and cheaper to go with a new tranny? thanks.

Comment

Joe, I just got my internet back today. I can start working on your car tomorrow in school if you come drop it off tonight.
                -Josh R

Comment

The input shaft bearing is inside the transmission and is not for the faint of heart to replace. It is more for an experience mechanic and some special tools will be needed to assure the clearances are correct. If your transmission is bad, I have a rebuilt 4-speed for sale. Since it is Christmas $150 plus the shipping from 21090 (weighs less than 70 pounds). Shipping to MN should be less than $50. I can ship to your door for $200.
                  Please let me know. To rebuild the one you have you would most likely spend more than this amount (unless it is a really low mileage transmission).

Comment

Working...
                  X