Dash, Heater & Shift Lights Not Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dash, Heater & Shift Lights Not Working

So I hope this isn't a repeat post. I used the search & no luck on an answer. I just received my new dimmer switches. Thought that was my culprit not having one to complete the circuit but I still have no interior lights besides my dome. I have checked all the fuses in panel & they are all good. When I got the car it was missing the radio,cigarette lighter (both cut hack jobs) & wires cut on back of dimmer switch. I used the wiring diagram on forum to put my stereo / cigarette lighter back in & plugged my dimmer switch in- still no lights besides dome I'm stumped any help would be greatly appreciated
    Send An Invite If Ya Want

1991 Ford Festiva GL- Auto

Just remembered my headlight warning buzzer doesn't work as well if this can help anyone

Comment

Check that you have power going into the fuse.
      Could be switch on the column or relay.
      Checking if getting power to that fuse is a start to determine if they are potentially the problem.

Do your parking lights work?
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Yes my running lights work & I have power to my room & tail light fuses. I started to tinker last night in the dark & noticed that the dash lights do work but are super dim even on high (only looks like 2 lights on top & not enough to light the dash good enough to see speedo). Still no console or shift lights at all. I was wondering if there was a way to test the warning buzzer to see if its bad or just not getting power? What relays should I check & where are they located? Think I'm going to check the bulbs today if I have time. Thanks for the help Pu241 Hopefully I can get this sorted out

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDaveGulvak View Post
          Yes my running lights work & I have power to my room & tail light fuses. I started to tinker last night in the dark & noticed that the dash lights do work but are super dim even on high (only looks like 2 lights on top & not enough to light the dash good enough to see speedo). Still no console or shift lights at all. I was wondering if there was a way to test the warning buzzer to see if its bad or just not getting power? What relays should I check & where are they located? Think I'm going to check the bulbs today if I have time. Thanks for the help Pu241 Hopefully I can get this sorted out
          So, you have cluster lights, they're just really dim? And by console lights, do you mean around the heater controls and all that? Wondering exactly how much the PO hacked up pulling the radio.

And FWIW, I've never owned a Festiva where the headlight buzzer actually worked. Always thought that was a myth.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
          1989 L - 247K miles Slick
          1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
          Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

did you install a factory or after market radio?
            I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

festys have a headlight buzzer lol !

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
                And FWIW, I've never owned a Festiva where the headlight buzzer actually worked. Always thought that was a myth.
                Originally posted by william View Post
                festys have a headlight buzzer lol !
                Only came on a tach clusters, non-tach cluster do not have them.
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

"So, you have cluster lights, they're just really dim?".....Yes looks like maybe 2 bulbs on top

"And by console lights, do you mean around the heater controls and all that?"......Yes

"Wondering exactly how much the PO hacked up pulling the radio.".....Well he cut them at the plugs & had some of them taped off. I used the forum post to wire everything & solder them properly to my after market head units harness. I just wire nutted/taped the illumination wires (Didn't think that would break my circuit- is that the problem? The things you remember when asked questions. Thanks for jogging the memory on that.)

"Only came on a tach clusters, non-tach cluster do not have them.".......Hmmmmmm I have no tach but there is a black rectangle that says Timer/Buzzer under the dash next to a green square that says hazard flasher??? Not doubting you just wondering what it is & if I can rule it out of the problem.

Ok so thanks for all the input so far guys Ill look into this more tomorrow spent today replacing radiator/heater core hoses & flushing system. Sorry for my cut and paste quotes couldn't figure out how to use that quote tab

Comment

SuperDave said:

"I have no tach but there is a black rectangle that says Timer/Buzzer under the dash next to a green square that says hazard flasher?"

This sounds like an add on to me. Hazard switch should be on top of your steering column surround. It's a rocker switch and I think it's red. It's actually part of your turn signal assembly.

Karl
                    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Karl, I think he mean the flasher under the dash that controls the rate of the emergency lights flashing, not the switch itself.

That black rectangle is not OEM.
                      Should be able to apply 12V to the leads on the "black box" and it should make the appropriate noise.

I suspect, because you have Instrument Cluster lights, though dim, that in fact your HVAC light is either burned out or has a bad connection.
                      I sometimes had to whack the dash and mine would come on!

"Shirt light" I assume in the ATX shifter assembly.
                      Again if you have power your thought of testing the bulb is the way to go.
                      remember these cars, are approaching 20 yrs old with little or no maintenance in some cases, so a few burnt out bulbs would not be unexpected.
                      '92 Aqua parts Car
                      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Ok so I guess w/ no buzzer & what I thought was no interior lights at all I over thought things and figured it had to be something w/ a circuit. But being a stubborn mule & walking back out to car to look at the buzzer issue after sunset I noticed the 2 dim lights at the top of cluster while coming out from under the dash. Still thinking it odd that only 2 lights barely worked and still had had no lights in the other 2/3 of my interior I still figured a circuit problem somewhere. Pulled everything apart yesterday & yes it was just the bulbs.......DOH! Guess I assumed when 1 light would have gone out you'd replace it & never even thought you'd just watch them all putter out 1x1. So I've been reminded never assume things that you consider common sense maintenance to be the same as PO. Also learned that during the daylight the odometer isn't always the best spot to check for light bleeding out. So thanks for all the help guys

Comment

Working...
                        X