Replacing head cover gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing head cover gasket

How much torque do I need to use for 1992 Festiva L?
    Do I need to replace the bolts as well? I've heard mixed responses.

All B series Mazda engines, of which the B3 is a member, DO NOT used torque to yield bolts. Therefore they can be cleaned up and reused.

Torque in two stages:

1) 35 to 40 ft/lbs

2) 50 to 60 ft/lbs

Since you didn't ask I assume you have the torquing sequence.

I suggest you get a Haynes or Ford manual it can be very helpful when you do not have access to the internet.
    They are relatively cheap via ebay.
    Good luck and let us know how this turned out as we supply much info but rarely do we get the follow up!
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

A little confused here. Are you talking about doing the head gasket, or the valve cover gasket?
      The specs for the VC are 44-80 in-lbs.

Do not over tighten these bolts, as they will snap off. Ask me how I know this.

Head bolts are 2 stage
      Stage 1 35-40 ft-lbs
      Stage 2 56-60 ft-lbs

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
        A little confused here. Are you talking about doing the head gasket, or the valve cover gasket?
        The specs for the VC are 44-80 in-lbs.

Do not over tighten these bolts, as they will snap off. Ask me how I know this.

Head bolts are 2 stage
        Stage 1 35-40 ft-lbs
        Stage 2 56-60 ft-lbs
        How do you know this sir?
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Yes, good point!
          I assumed due to replacement of bolts question, he was talking about the head-bolts.
          I've never had any VG bolt that needed replacement with gasket replacement.
          And batstiva is correct in/lbs, because if you break one it make life much more difficult.
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
            How do you know this sir?
            Long story. The short version is this- 77 Mercury Comet, VC leaking, replaced, subscribed to the 'tighter is better' school of thought, turns out that is not always correct. What can I say, I was young, dumb, and full of...well anyway, correcting that problem is not fun.

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
            Yes, good point!
            I assumed due to replacement of bolts question, he was talking about the head-bolts.
            I've never had any VG bolt that needed replacement with gasket replacement.
            And batstiva is correct in/lbs, because if you break one it make life much more difficult.
            John, you may be right. Just never heard anyone call it a head cover gasket, and as the torque levels are very different, just wanted clarification. Because, as we have both stated, breaking one of those valve cover bolts pretty much makes any day a Monday.

Comment

Well, as he was on here at 12:44 and we got no follow up, I really don't expect much clarification. LOL!
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

^^ I suspect you are right, sir!

Comment

Yes: I also verified that the valve cover bolts will break off (inch pounds only!!). I guess it really is not much fun unless you have to extract a broken bolt form the head? All good now!
                  Kent

88L "Klownstiva"
                  03 Mustang Cobra vert

Comment

Ok...
                    We're replacing the head gasket!
                    Is there a walk thru thread? Will Haynes manual cover this?

Comment

Yes, Haynes should cover it. Best to get a Ford shop manual when you can. You should be able to find one on ebay for around $25 or less, shipped. Sometimes folks here sell them.

I just did my head gasket, though I didn't have a "step by step," I do have a few pics here, along with links to my "help!" threads where I asked questions you may want answers to as well. Go here:

Members Builds (questions about repair or how to do something belong in the proper forum)

If you don't have time or interest for the whole thread, my engine stuff starts at the top of page four. Don't forget the links to other info! That should help you "see" what you'll be getting into, though your engine is probably not out of the car.

Karl
                      Last edited by Safety Guy; 12-15-2010, 10:17 AM.
                      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Sorry, change of plans.
                        We are first going to change the valve cover gasket and hope that will stop the oil leak.
                        I've ordered a Haynes Manual but it will not arrive before we want to do the job.
                        Is there a sequence to replacing the bolts?

Thanks.

Comment

An oil leak wouldn't very likely be a head gasket...

No sequence for the valve cover bolts, and Batstiva gave the in/lbs specs for it already...

A Haynes manual will give you very good directions for anything except the windshield, the brake rotors, and rebuilding the transmission!
                          Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                          Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                          "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                            Yes, Haynes should cover it. Best to get a Ford shop manual when you can. You should be able to find one on ebay for around $25 or less, shipped. Sometimes folks here sell them.
                            Karl
                            Absolutely go to Amazon.com and buy one in "used good condition" for like $4-$6/w $2 shipping!
                            I do this exclusively...Every one I've ever bought like this, looks like it was used one time lol.

Originally posted by Jdperrine View Post
                            How much torque do I need to use for 1992 Festiva L?
                            Do I need to replace the bolts as well? I've heard mixed responses.
                            No you don't need to replace the head bolts, they're not TTY type bolts (torque to yield")
                            You do want to chase the threads though (run a tap in the bolt holes, and then Q-tip them out after) I also wire wheel off the threads of the bolts and oil the threads with motor oil before installing them. One thing I consider to be very important and always do is: After I reassemble none tty bolt type engines, I'll heat cycle the engine several times. Figure a 100-200 miles or a few trips to the stores then I pull the vc and "re-torque" the head bolts again. By that I mean, I simply check them all in the correct sequence and apply the 60lbs again. I don't loosen them, I just set the wrench to 60lbs and go over all of them again. You'd be surprised to see that a few might have backed off a little.

To create a perfect leak proof vc do this: Clean and dry the VC's "gasket groove" throughly, I use brake cleaner as it leaves no residu. Be careful with the stuff because it will eat plastic.
                            Then put a little bead of (oxygen sensor safe) rtv in the groove before placing a fresh gasket back in the groove. Make sure to wipe the sealing surface of the head dry of oil and reinstall the vc. Now wipe off any extra rtv in the event you were a maniac with the rtv. Let this dry over night before driving.
                            Last edited by iceracerdude; 12-18-2010, 07:00 AM.
                            97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                            CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                            Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X