Fuel gage on orange tach cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel gage on orange tach cluster

I Own A 1990 L And Only Had The White Non-Tach Cluster And Everything Worked Great. I Found A Orange Tach Cluster From An 89 LX And Installed It, And The Fuel Gauge Only Goes To Half Way When I Fill It. Can I Just Move The Needle, Or Do I Need To Go Back And Get The Float From The 89' LX? Any Info Would Help Me Out Big Time.
    Last edited by Pu241; 12-12-2010, 10:29 AM.

Moved your post to the appropriate section.

Float/pump assembly wont help you.
    It might not even fit.

You MIGHT be able to make an adjustment to the gage itself.
    Which would require cluster disassembly, and I'm not even certain that is correct.
    But most electronic gages have some means of adjustment.

Good luck and if you have need of further info on the gage check back to this thread as I'm sure others will have suggestions.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Ok Thank You Very Much. Sorry About Posting In The Wrong Section. I'm Still New To This Whole Posting Stuff. Thanks Again!!!

Comment

Not a problem!

You got your location in your profile without proding so your doing fine!
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Haha. Very True. :newb:

Comment

you didnt ask me for help? lol
            1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Do not write below this line; for office use only

Comment

I Didn't Forget About You. I Just Wasn't Sure If You Did A Cluster Swap From An 89 To A 90. I Figured You'd See It Up Here If I Posted It. And You Did.

Comment

lol. I did a cluster swap. I'm not sure what year the cluster was i put in, but i put it into my 92.

wasnt 90 a weird year for wiring, or was that 89? Either way, i know who i could ask what year my cluster was from. I havent had any problems with mine, but my car is also still up on jack stands
                1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Comment

89 Was The Funky Carb'd/EFI Cross-Over, But I Didn't See Anything About The Orange Clusters Having A Fuel Gauge Issue Before I Swapped It, So I Dunno.

Comment

maybe your gauge is junk. if it wasnt all snowy and crap id make the drive down to let you use mine to test if something isnt right on your car or something. It might just be a wiring issue. I know it was a PITA for me to re-route my speedometer cable with that orange cluster.

so why the cluster swap? you get sick of that like 6" tach?

Comment

Wiring to the cluster is across the years is the same.

There are other wire related issues with 88-89 to 90-93 models.

swapping cluster with a known good one would be a good check.

Re-routing the speedo shouldn't have been a problem.
                      Decouple the speedo from the tranny, then pull out the cluster, detach the two electrical connections and the speedo from the back of the cluster.
                      Then re-route speedo and re-connect everything.
                      '92 Aqua parts Car
                      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I got your pm Ckiesman... Now I see what your talking about..
                        I had a similar issue with my tach cluster when I got it. The fuel gauge would just get stuck along with my temp gauge. So I took apart the cluster and put it back together and everything worked as it should. HA not much help for you but I believe the issue was my needle was slightly angled and would just rub until it got stuck.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                        The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

lol.

i totally forgot about the un hooking the cable from the tranny.

no problems with my cluster though jeff

Comment

I Removed The Entire Speedo Gear Assembley From The Trans To Check The Fluid, Since I Had To Re-Route Anyways, And I Pulled The Cable Completely Out Of The Sleeve To Lubricate It As Well. I Did Re-Route The Speedometer Cable Without A Problem, And The White Factory Non-Tach Cluster's Fuel Gauge Worked Just Fine. I Did Not Know If There Was An Ohm's Difference Between The 89 And 90 Sending Unit. I Did However Take My Orange Cluster Apart, And Roll My Mileage Back To Match My White One, So I Suppose The Needle Could Be Slightly Rubbing, But I Was Very Careful And Everything Else Works Fine. I'm Thinking A Bad Fuel Gauge Is The Likely Culprit Then...Grrrr........

Comment

Yes, if you did not push the fuel gage pointer all the way on that could be the issue.
                              Before you pull the cluster again use a flash light to see if it is contacting the cover.
                              '92 Aqua parts Car
                              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                              X