cold no start issues (92 B6)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cold no start issues (92 B6)

i have a 91 gl with a 92 B6 with matching ecu and vaf. the engine has mild port-work and an FMS cam. I have had this engine for several years and had no issues with cold start. Recently when the temp is below well say 20deg it cranks over just fine but occoationally sputters and sometimes if im lucky it will sputter faster and faster till it runs on it own. When the temp is higher than that it starts and runs perfect every time. I have a large Accel coil on the vehicle new accel wires, new NGK v-power sparkplugs, walbro 255 fuelpump. Any areas to double check would be very appreciated. P.S. recently replaced ecu coolant temp sensor and iac valve from jy trying to solve this issues with no resolve.
    Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
    93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
    91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
    93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
    15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
    88 Dakota tow pig

I would go thru the basics: Check crank timing, Ignition Timing. Check for spark, real cleaning the battery posts and cables, and fuel delivery.

You can disconnect the return fuel hose and attach a longer hose to an empty gas can, and turn the key on for a few seconds. see if you have a gas in the can.

Unplug and replug electrical connectors. Check oil level. Check air filter.

Basicly, Do everything you know how to do easily. You can try starter fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by gauge_half_inch View Post
      i have a 91 gl with a 92 B6 with matching ecu and vaf. the engine has mild port-work and an FMS cam. I have had this engine for several years and had no issues with cold start. Recently when the temp is below well say 20deg it cranks over just fine but occoationally sputters and sometimes if im lucky it will sputter faster and faster till it runs on it own. When the temp is higher than that it starts and runs perfect every time. I have a large Accel coil on the vehicle new accel wires, new NGK v-power sparkplugs, walbro 255 fuelpump. Any areas to double check would be very appreciated. P.S. recently replaced ecu coolant temp sensor and iac valve from jy trying to solve this issues with no resolve.
      Probably just an issue with throttle body controls....I do not know the technical terms and I am sure others will be able to help...basically the same as when a choke is not working properly.
      I am going to move this to the repair help forum where I think more will see it and be able to help.
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

My truck had the same problem when it started to get cold here. It would crank fine but it took about 6 seconds to start up instead of the 1-2. I put some heet in my gas and it starts fine now so I would try that also.

Comment

well timing is spot on, ignition timing is set at 13tdc with the cam. definitely have strong spark. battery is rear mount with 2g wire power and ground. the engine will crank at 200 or higher rpms. after cranking for a min and sputtering a little fuel smell is strong. oil is full and air filter is a clean free flow cone filter. As stated when temp is over 20 vehicle starts wonderfully or after engine is warm restarts perfect.

Dennis
          91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
          88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Anyone want to bet it has something to do with crapoline aka 10% ethanol gas?
            Theory
            When its injected at these lower than normal temps it cools the air/fuel charge more than usual and you need to crank till enough heat from compression vaporizes enough fuel for it to ignite.

Anyone else confirm protracted ignition sequencing issues?
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

well 10% ethanol has been used for years, i have not had an issue till this year.

Dennis
              88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

True, but I'll still bet it harder to start on 10% crapoline than real gas.
                Also, I'll bet we are starting to see higher than 10% ethanol in some of the gas we get.
                Last edited by Pu241; 12-14-2010, 11:56 AM.
                '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                Your holy ghost will not save you.
                Your God plutonium will not save you.
                In fact...
                ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

how would that cause it to be "flooded"?

Dennis
                  88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

still stuck. no one has any usable ideas?

Dennis
                    88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

finally got the car to start with lots of starting fluid and well timed reconnecting the injectors. It ended up being the ignition coil broken down just enough to not burn the rich cold start mix. threw an old coil on it and havent had the slightest issue.

Dennis
                      88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

I like this forum.

Comment

Working...
                        X