Problems while driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems while driving

Let me start out by saying that this is my first post so go easy on me.

I drive a 1992 Festiva GL with no modifications to the vehicle.

Today while starting my car it started OK but then just stalled. I started it again and it idled just fine. It was -7F today so i let it warm up for about 10 min. Then while driving down the road at speeds about 60 to 70 mph when i pushed on the gas it started to feel like it was misfiring and doing some violent shaking that would go away if i just pushed the gas pedal to the floor.

I put Heet in my car thinking that maybe the problem yesterday but it did not seem to help. Also while idling it produces a very strong gas odor now that was not their before.

This happened last year also when it got cold but it went away when the temperatures came back up. I am just wondering if they may be a quick fix.

Any ideas?

gla

You may need some gas line antifreeze. It's very cold where you are. Maybe some water has frozen in your gas line. It doesn't hurt to try that first since it's inexpensive. Good luck.

Comment

Has carburetor icing ever been a problem with Festiva's. I had a 79 RX-7 that when temp & humidity was just right (or wrong) the carb iced up at cruising sppeds. Engine first started looosing power then stumbled and quit.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
        You may need some gas line antifreeze. It's very cold where you are. Maybe some water has frozen in your gas line. It doesn't hurt to try that first since it's inexpensive. Good luck.
        He said in his post he used HEET, which is either Methanol base (Yellow bottle) or Isopropanol base (Red bottle). Either of which should have taken care of water in the fuel system.

Originally posted by CharlieZ View Post
        Has carburetor icing ever been a problem with Festiva's. I had a 79 RX-7 that when temp & humidity was just right (or wrong) the carb iced up at cruising sppeds. Engine first started looosing power then stumbled and quit.
        This is a '92 so should be EFI unless some one went to a lot of trouble.
        I don't know if the carbies, '88-89, had issues with "icing" up or not.
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

carb icing is a problem in CARBED vehicles, never seen it in FI vehicles....

dang it John...lol
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

You may have a fuel line leak. Check all the rubber fuel hoses. Usual they fail within a few inches from th ends. Mine split going into the fuel filter (from the tank.).

- Kirk

Comment

Might also want to lube linkages at the carb. May be that the choke is not engaging/ disengaging properly.

FWIW, Slick is an 89 carbie, and he's always fired up and run fine, down to zero degrees.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
              1989 L - 247K miles Slick
              1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
              Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Scott, it's an EFI car....
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

might want to replace the temperature sensor on the intake manifold to the left of the THROTTLE PLATE between #1 and #2 FUEL INJECTORS

********* note: the caps above are for the idiots who believe that a 92 GL has a carburetor**********

I am the original

Comment

Originally posted by mechanicaldj View Post
                    ********* note: the caps above are for the idiots who believe that a 92 GL has a carburetor**********
                    Hahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

********* note: the caps above are for the idiots who believe that a 92 GL has a carburetor**********[/QUOTE]
                      LOL

Thank you guys for the help. I will be working on it over the next few days and see how it goes. again thank you very much with help narrowing down what might be wrong.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys i replaced the temp sensor and all seems to be going well.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                          Scott, it's an EFI car....
                          D'oh!! That's what I get for almost reading the whole post. :banghead:

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                          1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                          1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                          Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I had a similar problem after adding some fuel treatment (similar to heet), after running the tank almost empty, then adding fresh gas, the problem went away. Seems that my little 1.3 didn't enjoy the additive. Never added anything else to the tank, never had the problem again.
                            I've got a '90 with EFI.

Comment

Working...
                            X