Vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibration

92 5 speed. Vibrates when under load (accelerating) or off load (in gear and decelerating). When in neutral or when it is in gear with the clutch disengaged the vibration ceases. It does increase with speed. Axle? Transmission?
    youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Sounds like a motor mount broke. Prop the hood open and get in to start the motor. Look between the hood and the dash at the top of the engine. Put the trans in Neutral, start the motor, & "goose" the gas pedal. the engine is only move a little.

- Kirk

Comment

Assuming here that you have checked the tires for wear and balance. I would also check the balancer(?) on the passenger side half shaft, make sure it's still there, and there's nothing loose wobbling around.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

The tires are good as far ad wear but not checked for balance. It was fine and then it just started vibrating. I will check the balancer on the axle next. Thanks to both of you! Will be checking motor mount and balancer tomorrow. This is a friends car.
        youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

if it was tires, it would have the vibration at all times

i've never seen a front or pass. side mount fail, but i've ripped apart the rear tranny mount before and all that really happened was bad wheel hop, never really caused any vibrations like you described

What i would do is jack up the front end and put it on jack stands so the front tires are off the ground, then have someone inside the car put it in gear and start accelerating while i laid beside the car (just in case the car falls off the stands your out of the way and won't get run over lol) and looked underneath to try and spot anything abnormal

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I told my buddy to jack it up and do the wheel test but he didn't see anything. He was alone though. So he reved it then looked. I will help him do that test again.

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
              if it was tires, it would have the vibration at all times
              In general, I agree. But when I had this one on Slick...

I could make the vibration go away by hitting the gas hard, then letting off. The car would ride perfectly smooth as long as I was coasting. Don't ask me why.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
              1989 L - 247K miles Slick
              1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
              Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

With vibration on acceleration and deceleration, I would bet on something mechanical.
                Example: RWD drive cars do that when the u-joints are bad. So i'm thinking axles, bearings, or tranny related?
                Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

I would have to say an axle as well.
                  what you are describing is classic inboard joint gone bad, caravans were really bad for this.
                  Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
                  1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

It was the axles. Installed new axles. Problem solved. thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X