89 Festiva Starting/Idling Issues and sometimes driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 Festiva Starting/Idling Issues and sometimes driving

Hey guys, I'm new here. I've read through a few pages here to try to find an answer to my problem.
    I'll start with what I have:
    89 Festiva, 5 speed manual, Carb, 153k miles.

Problem:
    After the car sits for 4+ hours after I park it, it takes a long time to get started again. The weather does not seem to affect it. <I bought it in the fall, and even on 80 degree days it would do this. I worry now, because I work night shift and am usually travelling home at 1-2 am, in 0 degree weather.> The car turns over fine, fires and runs for about 2 seconds, then dies. I crank it for another 20-30 seconds and it runs for about 15 seconds, and dies. It does this cycle for a few minutes, and then it'll start. After I get it started, I will barely press the gas pedal, and hold it there to idle around maybe 1500-1800 RPMs for a couple minutes. ( No tach just guessing here ). After this, I will let off the gas and it will normally idle decently by this point.

As I begin driving, I can only press the gas about halfway, or the car wants to die. (I compare it to leaving the choke on too long when you start your lawn mower, how it begins to cut out and eventually dies). When I let off the throttle, it seems to "catch itself" and begin running correctly again.

After the car warms up, and the heat gauge begins to show the engine it heating up, it will seem to be a little more responsive to more throttle. One thing I've always noticed is no matter if the car is just starting or has been running for an hour, I have never been able to push the gas pedal all the way down. When I do this, it bogs down, and I have to back off.

I have also noticed that in the 4 months I've had the car, 2 times it has been warmed up, and running about 65-70, and all the sudden the car basically quits running. I can't press the gas at all, or it dies. It will idle fine but that's all. I have had to pull over for a few minutes, turn it off, wait, and then turn it back on.

I have ran octane booster, and ran some fuel system cleaner through the gas tank.
    I have changed the fuel filter.
    I have changed the fuel pump.

Are there any other thoughts other than putting a Weber carb on it? I am looking for more options with the stock carb.

Thanks

I would start by warming the car up fully then removing the top of the air cleaner and looking to see if the choke is opening.
    It sounds like yours is staying shut or only partially opening.
    Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
    1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

I let it warm up today, and noticed the choke wasn't opening as you said. The vacuum was working, but the little steel piece that is supposed to move the choke wasn't long enough. I bent the piece so it'd move the choke more. I bent it as much as possible, now it opens the choke a little more than 3/4 and runs much better. The car actually has a little power now. I have not tried re starting it since the "fix", as it was right before work. I'll be firing it up tonight at about 1 am so let's hope it helps!

Thanks in advance...

Comment

Nice call econoaddict!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking for how to adjust the choke on the carbie or at least how it should work.
        This should help get all you starting and drive-ability back.
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Ok, Well, I went to adjust the choke on the car. The housing was pop riveted on, and inside was the spring. I could not turn the housing with my hands, so I found a pair of channel locks. I began turning the housing and watching the choke open up with the engine warmed up...and sure enough, broke the housing, and the spring is now shot.

So...

I called Auto Zone and they don't carry any types of parts to replace this with.
          A) Is there anywhere in particular that sells the housing and the spring? What parts do I order if they do?

B) Can I just drill a hole through the firewall and essentially make this carb a "manual choke" with a cable running through to my dash? This car just takes me from work and back so I don't care if it's not pretty, as long as it is functional.

Other ideas are welcome as well!
          Thanks

Comment

How about this idea:

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

That's a great idea...if it would warm up a bit now!!

Comment

PM Evil D and maybe he can give you details and maybe even pics.

Tell him I sent you!
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                X