Front Coil Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Coil Springs

Is there someplace to buy new front coil springs for a 91 Festy?

I'd check with FestivaMotorSport. They used to carry new springs for both Festivas and Aspires. Unless Roger's run out, he probably still has them. IIRC, I paid $100 for my heavy duty rear springs.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

you can also have them custom made here in Lancaster for about the same price (Bud's Spring shop).
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

You can go to summitracing.com and pair whatever spring rate you want with some cheap honda civic coilover sleeves from ebay. Prices start at $3x.xx a piece for the springs and I got a set of the coilovers from ebay for $40 shipped to me. That's for 4 sleeves and some spine buster springs. Still worth it after you throw the busters away.
        http://www.summitracing.com/search/D...Ns=Price%7cAsc
        http://cgi.ebay.com/88-89-90-91-HOND...item3363379e51
        Last edited by sketchman; 12-14-2010, 08:56 AM.
        Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
        91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Arty, Bud's Spring Shop sounds cool. Do they have a website by any chance?

Karl

Comment

i have some ebay honda ones. couldnt install the back ones because need struts on the back atm. but yea THEY WORK GOOD JUST THESE EBAY ONCE ARE PRETTY BOUNCY LOL IT ALSO INSTALLED PERFECTLY TO THE FESTIVA STOCK ONE AND LOWERED THE CAR BY ALLOTLOL
            Last edited by Guest; 12-14-2010, 11:42 AM.

Comment

^Hitting a dip(not a hole, just a dip) in the road @ 60mph or more will send me out of my seat now. It gets old, but with softer springs it should be fine.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                Arty, Bud's Spring Shop sounds cool. Do they have a website by any chance?

Karl
                not that i'm aware of.... odd thing is, most people that have lived here all their lives don't even know about this place.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Sketch if you hit a good enough dip you can launch your car with them, they hurt my spine on long trips. Can't wait to put in my ground controls.

Festyboy you should see what it would cost to get stock height springs a bit stronger, maybe we can get a group by together. I would like a set about 10-12% stiffer then stock for the DD.

Comment

What would be the correct "lb./inch rate" for just a stock Festy, not a racer, that Summit talks about on the above mentioned coil spring link?

Comment

10% ain't gonna do it, minimum change should be at the minimum of 20% to actually notice anything, but i'll look into it.

Comment

Stock height springs that are about 20% stiffer would be cool. I've never mounted my FMS rear "heavy duty" springs so I don't know how they ride.

Although 10% stiffer springs would not be a big difference from stock, remember, most people will be replacing OLD stock springs that have softened over the years. But I agree that if you are going to do a run of "stiffer" springs, 20% is probably better, and definitely better for rear end cargo carrying capacity.

Karl

Comment

I'm interested in this spring thing too if it's cheaper than the aftermarket mix and match method.
                          Originally posted by denguy
                          What would be the correct "lb./inch rate" for just a stock Festy
                          Originally posted by skeeters_keeper
                          Stock Festy springs are around 110 front 90 rear (from the info I’ve found online)

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

I've replaced my front aspire springs with the 2001 Kia Rio springs from a pick-n-pull.
                            They're a higher quality metal and designed with more coils as well, but the same exact finished size and slightly firmer (but my old springs by comparison were extremely tired!?) They also increased the ride height to what I believe should be the original factory height, but I honestly don't have any way of knowing that for sure. I know a lot of you are interested in reducing height, and I also know the ebay's are way to stiff, so I would recommend these for either stock height or for cutting to achieve that lower stance. The struts from that same Kia Rio are the same exact fit as well, but won't show up in a cross reference of any sort, this is simply because of the addition of a small bracket to the strut designed to support the wire for the antilock sensor!
                            Additionaly, turning became much more responsive right off the bat.
                            Last edited by iceracerdude; 12-15-2010, 08:11 AM.
                            97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                            CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                            Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Ah, you put Rio front struts on an Aspire. I almost posted a whole error!

I'm using '02 Rio front struts on my '91L and I replaced my Rio springs with my old cut Aspire springs, but I haven't put them on the ground yet.

I'll eventually see about using cut Rio springs. Someone else cut them 2.5 coils and said it gave approximate stock ride height.

And yes, my Rio struts were heavenly loose at the strut bearings! Should be night vs. day when I try the steering effort.

Karl
                              Last edited by Safety Guy; 12-15-2010, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X