Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shift Pattern Different After Bushing Change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift Pattern Different After Bushing Change?

Ok, So I'll Make This Quick. I Own A 1990 5 Speed L Model. When I Bought It, The Shifter Was Sloppy As Heck. I'm Talking Like In Gear, 1 Foot Of Play In Any Direction!! But, As Sloppy As It Was, The Standard "H" 5-Speed Shift Pattern Was Still There. Well, Tonight I Changed My Shifter Bushings. ALL 6 Of Them. Got Them From Ford Dealership, And They Were A Crazy $5.00 Each, So $30.00. (then I read on here that they're at napa for $.92 ea, go figure, lol.) Anyways, I Changed Them Out, Nice Firm Feel Up Top, BUT The "H" 5-Speed Pattern Seemed To Turn Slightly Sideways. For Example, Instead Of Straight Back And Forth From 1st To 2nd, It Starts In First Top Left, Then Second Is Kinda Bottom Middle Like Where 4th Was Before The Change. The Best Way I Can Sum It Up Is The Shift Pattern Went From "|||" To "\\\". Is It Me? Or Was This How It Was From The Factory? Almost Seems Like They Designed It So It Wouldn't Hit Your Knee? lol. I Still Have Every Gear By The Way, And It Engages Smoothly, But "\\\":p

Would it be possible to have installed the shift rod opposite that it should be?
    Aspires and Sways all around, Miata B6 installed, KYB G2Rs just installed in front. Wish for coil overs someday.

Comment

I Didn't Know There Was An Opposite. I Noticed That The 2-Bolt Bracket That Connect's The Rod To The Transmission Onli Seemed To Fit On One Way, But You're Saying Take The Rod Off And Rotate It 180 Degrees And RE-Install It? Hmm. I'll Give It A Go.

Comment

It has been a few years since I had one apart, but just curious if it could be.
        Does it seem to make sense? I have a shifter hanging outside some where, I will go see if one end is angled ( not perpendicular to the shaft ).
        Aspires and Sways all around, Miata B6 installed, KYB G2Rs just installed in front. Wish for coil overs someday.

Comment

That's My Issue. I Don't Have Anything To Compare It To. Lol.

Comment

I did go look at a shifter I have out of a Aspire and the end attached under the shift lever is definitely cocked one way.
            So, yes the question is,,,, could it be installed 180' out?

Comment

That Would Make Sense Then. I'll Have To Switch It Around Tommorrow At Work. Thank You Very Much For All Of You're Help. This Forum Is The Best.

Comment

cool, let me know if you fix it...

Comment

I Def Will Keep You Posted. Thanks Again!!!

Comment

@festivapower:as far as i could remember when i change the bushing of my rod, the connection to the tranny is not equal..maybe you put it back in the wrong side.. just rotate it..

here is a photo for your guide when you take it off again..maybe this will help you..

Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.
                    "i am the difference":cheers:

Comment

WOW!! Thank You Biff And Doi Doi For You're Help. It Seems That My Shifter Rod Was Indeed 180 Degrees Out. I Didn't Even Notice That One Tab Was Longer Than The Other On The Shifter Side. Major Difference, And Very Good To Know In The Future. Thanks Again Guys!!! :p

Comment

Working...
                      X