fuel pump question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel pump question...

So my buddy just got a festiva, while we were trying to fix his timing by looking at mine, i looked and my fuel pump on my 88 festiva was pouring fuel out of it. Has this happened to anyone else. Its a easy fix, but i thought this was very weird?

88 Festy L (The White Thunder)
    91 L came and gone, owned only 2 days

Not on a Festy, but on chevy V8's a couple of times. More than likely a bad diaphram. Double check to make sure it's not a line. If the lines aren't leaking simply change the pump.

Comment

If you change the fuel pump, make sure you re-use the spacer block that is between the pump and the head. When you take the pump off the spacer block usually sticks to the head, but if it sticks to the fuel pump, be sure to remove it from the old fuel pump.
      You gonna race that thing?
      http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

It's definitely not the lines, the fuel pump looks like it hasa little relief hole on the bottom, and that is where it is coming out. And thanks, I will make sure to check for that washer and make sure i put it back there.

Comment

Mine was leaking out the same hole, diaphragm was bad. Had to replace the pump last spring. I went ahead and replaced all the fuel lines also.
          1960 willys pickup
          1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
          1989 festiva
          1990 festiva for parts
          1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Originally posted by worfdog View Post
            Mine was leaking out the same hole, diaphragm was bad. Had to replace the pump last spring. I went ahead and replaced all the fuel lines also.
            Okay so i am not the only one, thats good. i only have money to replace the pump so that is it for now

Comment

I just remembered, try to get a pump that looks like your old one. Some of the replacement pumps will be to tall and hit the smog stuff on the side of your air cleaner.
              1960 willys pickup
              1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
              1989 festiva
              1990 festiva for parts
              1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Originally posted by devon527 View Post
                Okay so i am not the only one, thats good. i only have money to replace the pump so that is it for now
                If the lines are leaking, at least replace that line.
                You don't have the money for fuel lines, but you have the money to pay for the extra gas wasted by leaking lines at $3 a gallon?
                Not to mention the fire hazard and possible lose of your vehicle due to few dollars worth of fuel line.
                You don't need the high pressure fuel injection fuel line, your fuel pump might be pumping 7-8 psi, so the cheaper low pressure fuel line will work.
                I'm thinking $0.50/ft or less.
                '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                Your holy ghost will not save you.
                Your God plutonium will not save you.
                In fact...
                ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                  If the lines are leaking, at least replace that line.
                  You don't have the money for fuel lines, but you have the money to pay for the extra gas wasted by leaking lines at $3 a gallon?
                  Not to mention the fire hazard and possible lose of your vehicle due to few dollars worth of fuel line.
                  You don't need the high pressure fuel injection fuel line, your fuel pump might be pumping 7-8 psi, so the cheaper low pressure fuel line will work.
                  I'm thinking $0.50/ft or less.
                  The lines are not leaking at all, they were replaced before i bought the car because the guy cut one on accident. I get paid thursday and i lent a couple hundred to my buddy to get his festiva this week so i am strapped for cash. Thank you for info and everything though, i have it under control now

Comment

Originally posted by worfdog View Post
                    I just remembered, try to get a pump that looks like your old one. Some of the replacement pumps will be to tall and hit the smog stuff on the side of your air cleaner.
                    I was going to say the same thing. If you search posts by M715, he has pics of the two side by side. Check it out.

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by Festy46 View Post
                      If you change the fuel pump, make sure you re-use the spacer block that is between the pump and the head. When you take the pump off the spacer block usually sticks to the head, but if it sticks to the fuel pump, be sure to remove it from the old fuel pump.
                      Thank you for saying that, didnt realize there was a spacer there, it ended up sticking to the head so it was fine. Put the new fuel pump in and the fuel guage doesnt drop like an elevator. lol

Comment

Originally posted by devon527 View Post
                        Thank you for saying that, didnt realize there was a spacer there, it ended up sticking to the head so it was fine. Put the new fuel pump in and the fuel guage doesnt drop like an elevator. lol
                        Glad to hear you got it fixed. I don't think there is any part of a Festiva that someone on this group hasn't had apart and can give you tips that are not found in any repair manual.
                        You gonna race that thing?
                        http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Working...
                        X