How to remove headlights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove headlights?

I tried searching but could not find any information. Do you have to remove the bumper cover or fender to remove the headlights? Whats the easiest way to get them out. I'm going to get one from pull a part and its freezing, so the simplest and fastest way would help.
    Thanks,
    Anthony

Just pulling the grill and the outer side running light will give you full access to all the headlamp mounting bolts
    (paperboy 23) 88 Festy Blue, aspire Engine/trans/efi swap,

Comment

Originally posted by codex View Post
      ...Whats the easiest way to get them out...
      Sledge hammer. But that may defeat the purpose
      Oscar

Comment

Originally posted by Occhty View Post
        Just pulling the grill and the outer side running light will give you full access to all the headlamp mounting bolts
        Or, if you don't need the whole mounting assembly, you can take a screwdriver and back out the adjustment screws ( 1 top and 1 grill side) enough to just take the light without the assembly. Don't know if you need the whole bracket, or not.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
        1989 L - 247K miles Slick
        1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
        Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I did this last weekend and found that besides the 2 position adjustment screws there was a spring attached on the outside edge of the headlamp casing. Had to pull the headlamp out and then with pliers pull it out. I haven't put the new headlight in yet, so i don't know how easy/difficult that spring will be to put back in. As for the screws, they're the easy part. Need a somewhat longer philips though, at least 4 inches to fit through the grill though.

Comment

Oops, forgot about the spring.

Not that hard to get it back on. That's how I've done all my headlight swaps.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
            1989 L - 247K miles Slick
            1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
            Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Thanks for all the help, after looking at it again it wasn't as difficult as I imagined. Now removing the fender and headlight trim piece, these will be more difficult.

Comment

Do you need to remove the glass or just change a bulb? I just replaced a bulb. To make sure it was the bulb and not the wiring I swapped the two bulbs side-to-side. It was about -15 C in the Canadian Tire parking lot.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                X