Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5spd manual trans x-ref

Hi All!

I need to repair or replace the 5spd manual trans on my '93 Festiva. Calls to local wreckers have not born fruit. I expect that this transmission is used on some other small cars with a 1.3L engine.

Can anyone provide any cross reference info?

Thanks.

The only other car that uses a Mazda E-series transmission (that's what you have) is a Ford Aspire. The Aspire transmission is slightly different in that it has a lower final drive ratio (Festiva 3.777:1, Aspire 4.058:1) and the front transmission mount is different.

It can be swapped into your car very easily. Just make sure you get the front mount with the transmission. The front mount will bolt into your Festiva using only two bolts, but works just fine.

With an Aspire trans, you'll get about 2 MPG less, but your car will accelerate much better.

Something to think about if you can't find a Festiva trans or don't want to repair yours.

BTW, welcome to the site.
    Last edited by JPT; 12-17-2010, 06:58 PM.
    Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
    '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
    '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Thanks!

I would prefer to repair the transmission I have, but I am glad to have other options if I can't get parts for it.

Thanks for the info!

Comment

trans problem

Tell us why you think it needs repair, whats it doing wrong. Welcome to the site.
        Last edited by sc72; 12-18-2010, 07:44 AM. Reason: Because i can
        An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Welcome!

Also, go to your "User CP" and then to edit your profile and options so you can add where you live so we know who is near you, etc. Could be helpful someday.

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I think the transmission needs repair because I had experienced increasing problems with gear shifting over a period of several months. Now the only gear it will go into is reverse.

I tried disconnecting the shifter and moving the shift control on the transmission manually, but with no better results. The shift control will move in and out, but will not rotate at all as it must do in order to move from 1/2 to 3/4 and finally 5/reverse.

Doug

Comment

Working...
            X