Overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating

Hi, my 2 stage t-stat failed so i went and bought a new one, unforunatly they didnt have a 2 stage, so i grabbed a single and now my car goes way up on the temp gauge. Is it the songle stage or is there something else wrong ?

Something else is wrong. Make sure you inst the t-stat the right direction. No coolant leak? Radiator fan working?

Comment

How do you know it was a failed t-stat? Is your water pump working? Radiator fan? Clogged radiator?
      Oscar

Comment

I knew it was failed by the engine not warming up, then when I replace it the engine over heats. I am sure I installed the right way. no coolant leak, and that's the thing I havent heard my fan come on. is there a way to test it ?

Comment

Ive also read that even if the radiator cap isnt holding proper pressure it can overheat the system ? so my best bets are to check the fan ? if thats working flush the radiator.

Comment

Okay, humor us and double check the installation of the t-stat. The fan will not turn on until the temp sensor tells it to. (basically) If there's not coolant flow past the t-stat, the fan will not come on. You can test if the fan works at all by disconnecting the electrical connector to the fan, then it will run all the time (assuming it works). And yes, a faulty rad cap can cause overheating, because the system will not hold enough pressure to keep the coolant from boiling over. And I can verify that on an 87 Dakota.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
            1989 L - 247K miles Slick
            1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
            Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Maybe your new Thermostat is bad. Drop it in boiling water and see if it works.

Comment

Have a look at the temp gauge sender while your at it, you've probably disturbed it where it makes it's connection.
                97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Thanks Guys, Yeah I am going to check the thermostat this morning and I am going to check over all of those ideas. I will update.

Comment

Okay, So I checked the fan.. and it works. The coolant temperature sensor I have in the car is from a 1988 Mazda MX-6 GT Turbo. They are identical except that I am curious whether the sensor is rated higher for the Mazda, thus giving wrong reading and not actuating the fan and spiking the temperature level. I am wondering if the sensor is waiting for a higher temperature reading thus why the fan is not coming on ?

Comment

sounds to me like you have a flow problem....are you even getting heat out before it over heats. Not to sound stupid but make sure that you did not put the t-stat in backwards.

With the cap off and the car running do you notice flow of the coolant as the car is running?
                      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                      89L Silver EFI auto
                      91GL Green Auto DD
                      There ain't no rest for the wicked
                      until we close our eyes for good.
                      I will sleep when I die!
                      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Yeah, it had heat. turns out it was the coolant temperature sensor on by the fuel injectors.

Comment

glad you got it fixed.....and thanks for giving us a follow up
                          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                          89L Silver EFI auto
                          91GL Green Auto DD
                          There ain't no rest for the wicked
                          until we close our eyes for good.
                          I will sleep when I die!
                          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by Kiddo View Post
                            Yeah, it had heat. turns out it was the coolant temperature sensor on by the fuel injectors.
                            And how did you determine that was the issue?
                            Because the gauge sensor is up by #4 sparkplug and the bypass hose!
                            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                            '92 Aqua parts Car
                            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                            Your holy ghost will not save you.
                            Your God plutonium will not save you.
                            In fact...
                            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I determined it by runing the codes. Yeah the gauge sensor is what I thought was the one that talks to the computer haha. until i looked further and found the one around back. I replaced it and I put a 2 stage t stat in and its perfect thanks for everyones help and imput it is greatly appreciated !

Comment

Working...
                              X