X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crank but no start

Okay everybody

1990 Ford Festiva

The car will crank but will not start. It turns over pretty well but just will not start.

I took off a fuel line going into the TB and it is getting fuel.

I took off a plug wire and grounded a plug so it is getting fire.

I took off the cap and the rotor button was turning.

ANY ideas?

It may be worth noting, I usually had to start it and it would die and then I could start it again and it ran and it had poor fuel milage.

Please and thanks

Any possibility of old gas?

Any possibility of mucked up injectors?

Checked timing?

Just a few semi-educated ideas. I'm more a beginner than not, but I've had a few issues that got solved here.

Also, a bit more info may help. How long have you owned and driven this car, or did you just buy it? Etc.

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 12-23-2010, 10:54 AM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

You could take the ignition control module (transistorized points) out and have it tested at any of the auto parts stores who do it for free.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I have only put probably 3000 miles on it, had it for quite a while. It has fresh gas. Should have decent injectors

Comment

Make sure the plug wires are going to the correct plug. Also check the plug wire arrangement at the distributor. As simple as it sounds, happens all the time.
          The other thing is that because you see gas coming out of the line, it doesn't mean that the injectors are not clogged. Even if they are not clogged, they may not be firing at all. Make sure they are getting a signal.
          I guess the same applies for the plugs. They may not be firing. Pull one out and see it it actually fires when grounded. Be careful not to get electrocuted!!
          Good luck!
          Last edited by perucho; 12-23-2010, 12:29 PM.
          Oscar

Comment

it ran when it was parked and I pull the plug wires off one at a time so they are arranged correctly.

The plugs do fire when grounded. I already tried that.

I have had the fuel rail off before because I had to replace a leaky injector gasket so I changed all of them

Comment

Do you know if the injectors are firing?
              Oscar

Comment

I don'y Know for sure but it drove one day and not the next. I find it hard to believe all 4 would have a problem. Maybe the pressure regulator

Comment

idk, how I would test it

Comment

Sounds to me like they are not getting a signal to open. Did you check if they are getting power?
                    Oscar

Comment

This sounds real close to the same problem that I had..... cranks and cranks and when it did start it would die, I had fuel at the TB but not enough pressure, replaced the fuel pump and back in the saddle again. It does sound fuel related to me. After replacing the pump I did check codes and found that I also had a bad oxygen sensor = poor fuel Mpg

Comment

changed fuel pump on a warranty, didn't help...thinking it jumped timing or the rings are shot

Comment

The injectors firing are also controlled through the dist. You could have a bad dist even though you are getting spark. Also check the flapper inside the VAF to see if it is moving freely.
                          Brian
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                          :fish:

Comment

Working...
                          X