Noisy lifter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy lifter.

It seems to have one noisy lifter. Any ideas on how to find it?

Pull the valve cover off and start the car and use a stethoscope to find the one making the noise.

Comment

Should just be able to pull the vc and press on the rocker arms. The ones that have downward play are likely to be noisy.
      -Donny
      -1992 Festiva GL
      B6D/E-series.
      -1991 GL
      BP/Broken E-Series. Working on G transmission.

-2011 Mazdaspeed3

Comment

Originally posted by JoDan View Post
        Pull the valve cover off and start the car and use a stethoscope to find the one making the noise.
        Lacking a stethoscope, a piece of rubber hose held up to your ear will work. Hold the other end of the hose near the top of each valve spring. You can easily find the noisy one. I have a stethoscope, but it's usually quicker to grab a piece of hose than hunt for the 'scope.
        You gonna race that thing?
        http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

finding a noisy lifter is not that involved. You can almost tell without the valve cover off....and once off like a previous poster said....just push down on the rocker arm and if it has play it is most likely the culprit.
          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          There ain't no rest for the wicked
          until we close our eyes for good.
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I've never tried it, but wouldn't oil go all over the place if you started it without the valve cover? I've seen HLA's at Autozone's website for like $12.00 or so.

Comment

Just go ahead and adjust all the valves? All that's needed is a feeler guage and a socket. I can tell which cylinder by holding the end of a hose to the block near each spark plug, but not which valve.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Thanks...........

Anyone see a way to change out the lifter without pulling the rocker shaft?
                The lifter is pretty small. Wonder if you could compress the spring and valve to get enough room?

Comment

Originally posted by denguy View Post
                  Thanks...........

Anyone see a way to change out the lifter without pulling the rocker shaft?
                  The lifter is pretty small. Wonder if you could compress the spring and valve to get enough room?
                  You gotta take the shaft off. An to help with installation, cut the fingers off of a rubber glove and slide them over each rocker to keep the lifters from falling out. Hope this helps.
                  -Greg
                  Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                  BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                  Redneck Engineer
                  FOTY - '09
                  5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

thanks...........just looking for easy.

Comment

Working...
                    X