gas fouling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas fouling

I just picked up a sweet 91 Festiva, it runs but gas fouls the #1 spark plug.
    Any ideas?
    My 89 parts car has a similar fuel pressure regulator but a different part #.
    My 93 eats Corvettes for breakfast.
    Merry Christmas!

If it's only fouling #1, it's the plug or the plug wire. I use the Bosch +2 plugs in my three Festys and they made a world of difference.
    Chuck
    Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
    If money will fix it, it's not broken
    91 GL -Ol' Rusty
    93 GL - Lil Red
    91 L - Tweetystiva
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

Thanks for the input, I changed plugs and wires but #1 still gas fouls and it runs poorly from start up.

Comment

Pull the #1 sparkplug wire off, plug one of the extra sparkplugs on it, lay it on a metal object and crank the motor over. Is it sparking? No? Remove the Distributor cap and Rotor and check them for wear or dark tracking. If you do get a spark, you injector on #1, is probably stuck open, flooding that cylinder.

Comment

I would bet on the injector as well.
          You can also swap #1 injector with another cylinder and see if it fouls out the cylinder you move it to.
          Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
          1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Thanks! I was thinking injector but a local techie said that a bad fuel pressure regulator could do it too.
            I see injector rebuild sets at my local auto parts.
            Carbs I can figure out, injection is new to me.

Comment

Fouling plugs

Originally posted by mudder View Post
              I just picked up a sweet 91 Festiva, it runs but gas fouls the #1 spark plug.
              Any ideas?
              My 89 parts car has a similar fuel pressure regulator but a different part #.
              My 93 eats Corvettes for breakfast.
              Merry Christmas!
              How about putting up your address and tell us more about this Vette eater and some pic's.
              An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

i am having the same problem with my saturn

Comment

cyl 1 injector is stuck open, i'll bet that the other three plugs look lean when pulled.
                  also want to do a compression check while your in there..
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

My mustang was doing that and after doing lots of things it turned out the wires to that one injector weren't making good contact. I moved them on and off it a few times and all was well again. Probably a little Keyrosion.

Comment

How do you fix an injector?
                      My Vette destroyer is mostly rust and bandaids, but the suspension is tight!
                      I'll have to post an image some time soon.

Comment

if the injector is just stuck and not frozen, start the engine and firmly tap on the injector body with the butt end of a sizeable screwdriver. it may take a few raps but if it unsticks itself, you'll hear the idle smooth out right away. if after a few attempts the injector DOESN'T start working, you'll have to replace it.

IMPORTANT! you should be able to hear each injector click by using a long thin rod to touch the injector body and placing your thumb over the other end and then thumb to ear. if the injector is clicking before the "fix" attempt, replace the injector.
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                        X