Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire Brake Woes

Hookay so here goes:

I took my car to get inspected and they said I had a leaking caliper piston. Being close to the holidays I decided to rebuild it instead of replacing it. All that went well but then when I went to bleed the calipers the bleeders broke off. I bled it by the lines and the pedal seemed super stiff like normal before the caliper started leaking.

Until...

I started the car and now it goes halfway down and does not get hard till I pump it and still isn't that stiff. I went around and re-bled the system back to front and it seemed to be better but now its back to having to pump it up to stop. The thing that gets me is that its rock hard till I start it, then its spongy.

I'm not leaking any fluid, or at least not a noticeable amount by the reservoir level.

I'm thinking replace the caliper? Might upgrade to EGT/Protege LX/MX3 GS/4WD Protege Calipers.
    89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
    94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
    2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
    1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

something's telling me master cylinder/brake booster. check to make sure nothing's leaking under the hood when you start the car and press on the brakes.

my cousin's truck had the same symptoms and when he pressed on the pedal, brake fluid shot out HARD from between the cylinder and booster.
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

its not leaking any fluid, fill level does not change.
      94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...

Facebook Me!

Comment

just wont let ya stop?
        Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
        89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
        Projects in the works:
        84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

pretty much, if I pump it up it stops... sounds like air in the lines but I've bled it well, except for the no bleeders in the front. Might swap my 4wd pro's calipers on there tomorrow.

Facebook Me!

Comment

If you have the spare calipers to swap, I would try that first, but I had the same symptoms with my green festiva and it was the master cylinder that was bad

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

When you say bled it by the lines, did you loosen the brake line at the caliper?
              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

It seems like that's what he meant.... but that's a verry in-efective way to bleed brakes bc your not forcing air from the actual caliper, your just wasting brake fluid. Go to the "dorman" section of your parts store and get some new bleeders and a "easy out" and replace your bleeders. That's the only way to properly bleed them. There is a reason for placment of the bleeders on the caliper.

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
                1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
                R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
                00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
                03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
                pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
                Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
                Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

My guess is that since the brake lines are lower than the bleeder screws, you are not getting out some air trapped above the brake line. In other words, air in the top of your caliper reservoir. I'd fix the bleeder screws or get new calipers with good bleeders.

Keep in mind I'm not a "real" mechanic, car tech or brake designer. So I'm not sure about this but that's my guess. I've never cut a caliper in half or seen a cutaway diagram. Maybe it doesn't work that way. However, I do know that air will want to rise in a fluid, so the air should try to go "up" and if it does, you won't get it out by bleeding at the brake line. What I think happens is that your hydraulics are all fine until the pressure tries to build in the caliper top section. If there's air in there, then it compresses (gas is compressible while liquid brake fluid is not).

I bet the brake bleeders are placed where they are so that they will get all the rising air in the lines to exit at that high point.

Karl
                  '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                  '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                  '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                  '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                  '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I googled "brake caliper cutaway" and I got one!

AZone has two pics showing the internal "channel" from the piston reservoir to the brake bleeder plain as day:

Click on the tab under either pic for a much larger version.

The pics don't show the brake line entrance though. However, the bleeder screw is higher than the brake line entry, so I do think some air is trapped up there and won't be purged by loosening the brake line nut. I wish the cutaway showed this area, but it doesn't.

Karl
                    Last edited by Safety Guy; 12-29-2010, 07:29 AM.
                    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I broke a front bleeder nipple when replacing my brake lines and did what you did, bleeding from the hose connection. The extractor didn't work. It's still in there, broke off. The brakes work fine.
                      You might have some air in the caliper but not necessarily. It would depend on what you did after the nipple broke. I did not disconnect the line until I gave up on the nipple extractor so no air got in.
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Try harder to get it out lol or move to oregon where they don't salt the roads so your poor little tin cans don't rust! Mine is 100% rust free.

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
                        1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
                        R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
                        00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
                        03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
                        pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
                        Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
                        Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

Working...
                        X