Wheel bearing spacer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel bearing spacer

I'm having bearing issues again. I had bought new bearings and seals for the front and had them pressed in by a machinist. They started grinding in about 8 months. I took the hubs off and took it back to the machinist. He said he remembers putting the spacers back in, but did not measure them beforehand. He had agreed to fix them for free. He was able to put one of the hubs back together, but he says the other hub locks up(won't spin) before it is torqued down to spec. He says that he is not able to find a spacer(he is calling them shims if that is different) that is big enough. Does this make sense? I'm not trained as a machinist so I'm not sure if this guy knows what he is talking about. Any advice would be appreciated.
    1993 Festiva GL
    new fuel pump
    97 B3 swapped in by Eurotiva

There is a whole procedure for setting the preload on the bearings. It is in the Ford service manuals only. If he mixed up the spacers side to side it could cause this problem. There are 21 different size spacers so it is important to get them right or you will have premature bearing failure.
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

Yeah, he was using that, or at least some kind of service manual. I saw it myself last time I was there.
      1993 Festiva GL
      new fuel pump

Comment

Someone posted this list (see .jpg below) some time ago for Kia spacers that are supposed to fit Festivas. Most of the hubs I've had apart had 12's or 13's IIRC. The spacer/shim has the size stamped on it in very small numbers. Since yours is much too tight, you would probably have to go up in thickness a couple numbers from what is in it now. It is not an exact science, but more of a trial and error thing.
        You gonna race that thing?
        http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Good Info!
          1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
          1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
          1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
          1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
          1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
          1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
          1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

theres a guy in wisconsin that has done a few hubs for people on here, i bought about 5 different shims per his recomendaiton, i dont rember exactly which ones but they where the most common, i can dig up his info if needed

Comment

The spacers on a pair of hubs I'm rebuilding are 12 and 13. A recent post in this forum explained they are matched to the hub because the hubs are not precisely made and once you get one for the hub it should be good for replacement bearings of the same make or same thickness.
              I have an old Mazda GLC manual which also shows pressed on front bearings. Maybe Mazda carries spacers.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

That chart posted above is from Kia for the Rio. Same spacers for Aspires and Festivas, probably. The Rio is a distant "3rd gen" Festiva.

I bet Kia can easily get any spacers needed.

Karl
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Thats a good idea, I will get in touch with the Kia dealer. I just want to confirm, I need a bigger spacer?
                  1993 Festiva GL
                  new fuel pump

Comment

Or a new machinist

Originally posted by syfir View Post
                    Thats a good idea, I will get in touch with the Kia dealer. I just want to confirm, I need a bigger spacer?
                    My Whips:

Comment

Originally posted by syfir View Post
                      If the wheel is hard to turn when torqued up, that means the bearings are pushing against each other too hard. You need a thicker spacer so the bearings have more room to rotate.
                      You gonna race that thing?
                      http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Hot Wheels,

Can you dig up the spacer numbers?? I've bought new A18 TIMKEN front bearings and have sent for TIMKEN front seals, INNER and OUTERS. As a just in case, I'd like to have some spacers available. I don't want to get the whole thing apart and find that I need something. A few extra spacers will save a lot of grief.

If anyone can provide the information, it would be appriciated. Which shims, what source.

i218127
                        Last edited by i218127; 04-26-2011, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
                          theres a guy in wisconsin that has done a few hubs for people on here, i bought about 5 different shims per his recomendaiton, i dont rember exactly which ones but they where the most common, i can dig up his info if needed
                          His name is Bill,he's not into Festy's anymore. I have all his tooling now.

Originally posted by i218127 View Post
                          Hot Wheels,

Can you dig up the spacer numbers?? I've bought new A18 TIMKEN front bearings and have sent for TIMKEN front seals, INNER and OUTERS. As a just in case, I'd like to have some spacers available. I don't want to get the whole thing apart and find that I need something. A few extra spacers will save a lot of grief.

If anyone can provide the information, it would be appriciated. Which shims, what source.

i218127
                          ? Have you tried this thread ? Seriously.....
                          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

RIO Spacers

Obviously, I didn't understand what I was reading. As you get older, this is not unusual. I called my local KIA dealer and ordered spacers from #11 to #15. I think that'll cover it. Since I can't be sure what if anything was installed before, better safe than sorry. To the group...thanks for all the help! If I go astray, which is likely at my age, just tell me.

i218127

Comment

Working...
                            X