How do I remove the back hatch??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I remove the back hatch??

Like the title says. I want to remove the back hatch so I can lay it on the dining room table and tint it easily

I know there are 4 bolts holding the hinges on...... and 2 holding the shock on.....

My question is, how do I undo the electrical wire running into the hatch? Is there a harness that can easily be unplugged? Do i have to cut the wires?

Thanks everyone!

~Phil
    My Whips:

From what I understand, it's a real chore to pull the wiring out!!!
    Chuck
    Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
    If money will fix it, it's not broken
    91 GL -Ol' Rusty
    93 GL - Lil Red
    91 L - Tweetystiva
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

No need to cut any wires. Just remove the rectangle cardboard like panel on the inside of the hatch below the window. There should be electrical plugs for the 3rd brake light, license plate lights, and the rear window defrost. Unplug them and pull the wires out of the hatch. You will have to fish them back through the hatch though to get them back in.

Comment

There was a write-up on how to remove the glass... MUCH easier than removing the whole hatch!
        The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
        89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

Politely disconnecting hatch wires

The hatch door wiring passes through the accessible space next to the left tail light. Undo the plastic cover inside the trunk and then pull apart the connectors (2 or 3 of them) that head up the back post to the rubber grommet on the hatch door. Release the rubber grommet from the car side (small screwdriver) and then have fun removing the hatch. It's heavier than you'd expect. Whatever you do don't cut the wires; there's very little room to attempt solder connections at the car/hatch junction (been there, done that; to fix someone else's mess!)

Comment

I'll give it another shot tomorrow night...... just about ready to start tinting the 2 back windows now that they are out and cleaned up. Those were a piece of cake to remove alone with the driver's window.......2 screws on the drivers window..... 3 screws on each back window!
            My Whips:

Comment

Can you buy factory tinted rear glass? Maybe in Florida? I was told some of the air conditioned Festivas did have factory tinted glass, although I have never seen one. Anyobe have a picture of a Festiva with factory tinted glass?

Comment

The factory tint is very light.
                To the extent you almost have to have untinted glass side by side for comparison.
                '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                Your holy ghost will not save you.
                Your God plutonium will not save you.
                In fact...
                ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

My car is originally from Louisiana. It is all snow up here in Rochester, NY now. You can tell the glass must be factory tinted because looking out the drivers window the snow has a pinkish tint to it. Look out the front window and its bright white.

I would assume that is the factory tint?

~Phil

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                  Can you buy factory tinted rear glass? Maybe in Florida? I was told some of the air conditioned Festivas did have factory tinted glass, although I have never seen one. Anyobe have a picture of a Festiva with factory tinted glass?
                  My Whips:

Comment

"Pinkish" tint does not sound factory. I would think that a factory A/C tint would be greenish or maybe greyish or brownish.

All those ishishes!

Karl
                    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Here is a picture of what factory tint looks like, it was on my '88. It's not really dark, but it is noticeable.

'90 LX

Comment

Looks very nice!!!

Comment

And here is what 20% tint looks like

My Whips:

Comment

mmm I like more the original... besides, recently in my country the goverment put a law that regulates tinted windows. Only if they come from Factory is allowed
                            Last edited by Fordverde; 01-03-2011, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X