Need advice: 89 tranny swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice: 89 tranny swap

I'm new to the site here. I just bought an 89 L that at some point I believe had it's 5 speed replaced with a 4 speed. I'd love to reverse that and put a 5 back in. Having never done any thing major like that on any car I've owned, I'd love some tips. What year trannys should I be looking for, do any from other types of cars work or do I need a festiva tranny specifically. How difficult of a job is it? That sort of thing.
    thanks

Welcome curtis!

A little searching will tell you you could also swap in a Aspire 94-97 5 spd.
    Which has some pro/cons depending upon the type of driving your doing and what you want out of the car (speed or MPG).

Obviously, the easiest solution would be a straight forward festiva 5 spd swap for the current 4 spd. No issues with mounts.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

welcome Curtis. Like pu241said the search is pretty reliable on here. :p from what I have read on this it is a direct fit.

Comment

Yes, it is a complete direct fit, the only difference is, the 5spd has one less wire connected to it, but is not needed, I believe it is the Shift Light wire, which was only available on 4spds. I myself did this swap in about 13hours on a buddy of mine's festy. It is all kind of a straight forward swap, just disconnect everything that's connected to the tranny. Also if you look in the "Other's Articles" there is a complete read through about how to swap a tranny. If I were you I would stick with a 90-93 Festiva tranny, the aspire tranny does fit just like the festiva does, but you need the rear mount I believe.
        Last edited by 91blufestiva; 12-31-2010, 09:33 AM.
        -Josh R

Comment

Thanks everyone. Now I just gotta find a tranny in minnesota in the middle of winter.

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
            I'm new to the site here. I just bought an 89 L that at some point I believe had it's 5 speed replaced with a 4 speed. I'd love to reverse that and put a 5 back in. Having never done any thing major like that on any car I've owned, I'd love some tips. What year trannys should I be looking for, do any from other types of cars work or do I need a festiva tranny specifically. How difficult of a job is it? That sort of thing.
            thanks
            Hello Curtis......all the above stuff is good info....but the 89L came with a 4 speed so it is the right tranny....but a 5 speed will swap right in.
            "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
            89L Silver EFI auto
            91GL Green Auto DD
            There ain't no rest for the wicked
            until we close our eyes for good.
            I will sleep when I die!
            I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Yes - the correct transmission for the 89 L is a four speed - not a 5 speed (in case you are trying to keep the car technically correct)
              Last edited by roycehof; 01-02-2011, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X