Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed, Problems with 91 Festiva

Hi I have a 91 Festiva
    I have had many people who know a lot about cars look at it and cannot understand the problem that continually occurs..
    The car will turn over and get gas but will not start when warm, you can smell gas and it will act as though it wants to turn over but will not start, I think the problem could possible be electrical?
    When the weather is hot and the engine has already been running it will not start, But it can run for long periods of time with no apparent problems or anything. We have replaced the distributor, plug wires and plugs to no avail.

Another problem that has nothing to do with it not starting..
    Today we drove 40+ miles and had no problems but about 2 hours later drove around the neighborhood only to have the festy starting missing really bad and quitting. We think it was due to the gas being very low at the time and dirt then got in there

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by jhayes; 12-31-2010, 03:36 PM.
    my old car: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3352777

check/change the control module.....it can work intermittently also maybe the coil
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

We have changed the coil I believe, but I do not know what the control module is exactly and what it does

Comment

controls the ignition (ignition control module), by the coil....looks like a large resistor...at least I believe that is where it is.
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I will check sometime tomorrow..Thank you for the help and if anyone else has any ideas on this please share

Comment

Some auto parts stores will test the ignition control module (aka transistorized points) for free. If it needs replacing shop around. There is only the one maker but many retail distributors with widely varying prices.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
            X